Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bending capacity of clamp connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezapayvar

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2013
CA
I got API research report "bending moment capacity calculations for special API clamp / hub combinations" from the following link:

unfortunately, it has not governing equations for determination of bending capacity and it seems that they should be extracted from fortran program which is not presented in the report.

can anybody help me to find governing equations of bending capacity of clamp connectors?

Kellogg method or pressure equivalent method even with correction factor (kove's factor)doesn't make sense for maximum bending capacity calculation of clamp connectors.

appreciate for any kind of help

reza

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest you to contact the supplier of the clamp connection. They must have tables that show acceptable bending moment, axial forces in addition to the internal pressure. Some cases they even have a software to do this analysis for you.

The usual method for designing clamp hubs from scratch is ASME VIII Div 1, Appendix 24. In common with Appendix 2 this does not address external loads, so equivalent pressure added to internal equation is the normal route for analysis.

AS Saplanti correctly says, most vendors have tabulated external load limits. These are particularly useful since torsional moment is a contentious issue in a clamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back