Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bending or Bending + Torsion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilEduard

Mechanical
Aug 24, 2004
US
Hi all,

I am evaluating an extended trunnion at the bottom of pipe. Imagine a horizontal pipe and sticking 270 degree (below the pipe) is a trunnion which is also a pipe and the length is about 2 feet from the center of the carrier pipe. To prevent the carrier pipe from moving (the pipe in which the trunnion is welded to) a strut (or imagine any rigid bar) is welded to the trunnion sideways (horizontally to the left or could be to the right) and finally weld this rigid strut to a rigid structure somewhere on the other end. Now looking at the top, these are actually two rigid strut spread out 45 degree and welded on the other end. This prevent the pipe from longitudinal movement due to horizontal-longitudinal load. If anybody could have imagine the scenario, my question is: is the strut below subject to bending only or combined bending and torsion? My first reaction was a combined torsion and bending and somebody suggested that there seems to be no component for torsion but only pure bending. Another had told me there is slight occurence for torsion and my concern is to evaluate any slight occurence in cae. Please give me your idea.

Thanks a lot.

Phil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back