Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

benzene solvability in water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepijn76

Chemical
Feb 11, 2010
FR
At this moment I'm working on a project in which an existing vapour recovery unit has to be redesigned. This unit catches up the benzene in a vapour stream. IT consist of 2 adsorption vessels (with activated carbon beds). In order to regenerate the carbon its washed with 125°C steam.
The steam is condensed in a condensor, and the water is catched up in a buffer vessel.
For the calculation of the redesign of the condensors I want to set up a mass and energybalance. In order to do this I need to know the solubility of benzene in water at different temperatures between 20°C and 80°C. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you after only the solubility data? Or are you interested in the vapor/liquid equilibrium data? Presume it's the latter.

As a first approximation you could try taking the Henry's Law constant using the room temperature solubility of benzene in water (literature values vary but it's roughly 1800 mg/L) and then use the vapor pressure of benzene at the various temperatures to calculate the Henry's Law constants at each temperature. The solubility will increase with temperature, but nowhere nearly as fast as the vapor pressure increases. The only reference I can find has the solubility increasing to 2540 mg/L at 65 C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back