Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best air blower / air gun for removing metal scrap chips in jigs/ product 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousgirl05

Industrial
Nov 23, 2015
PH
hi I'm curious of what other metal processing companies are currently using during removing of scrap from finished item and jigs after machining / lathe process.. our company is currently using a concentrated nozzled airgun...and we are figuring out if this is still the best airgun there is to use for the cleaning process.. we are considering to use a wide nozzled airgun or a flat one.. what do you guys think?

good inputs are welcome. thanks! [gorgeous]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We mostly use air guns. I can't say that anyone has ever cared what the nozzle was. The swarf/chips/crud goes away after quick blasts, so it wasn't an issue that could really be improved. For some jigs, we use a brush. Depends on jig geometry and whether or not it's acceptable to use air blasts on the jig or around the part being processed.

Hi curiousgirl ,

Hand-cleaning or automaic cleaning? Open or protected jigs? Automated machine with necessary cleaning between processed pieces?

I believe the answer in the firs posting covers all to be said if it is a simple, straightforward use in a manual open way. Nothing to be added if the total cleaning process is not very time- or resource demanding.

For automated processes or complicated cleaning, specially formed mouthpieces or fastened (jigged) mouthpieces might contribute to better or faster cleaning.

Hi JNieman and gerhardl,

Our machines are mostly CNC. after process of item, operator takes a longer time to clean scrap from item and the fastened jig.. also, oil in item takes time to clean too. (cutting tool coolant used is oil).

Hi curiousgirl05!

I see your problem! Suggestions:

1. Coolant is usually not pure oil, but often an emulsion, mix of water and oil. Is it possible to find a less sticky coolant?

2. You have three possible ways of cleaning: mechanically with brush, air and coolant. Coolant is usually recovered. Is it possible/economical to flush with coolant? And/or using air from device/mouthpiece similar to 'airblade' of newer hand-driers? Buying parts from producer of airblades?

I am fond of rigging up a shop vac and an air nozzle close to the cutting interface to suck up chips as they are created. I figure if any chips never left behind can not interfere with part holding or be caught by the tool and mar surfaces. "If I crush the egg I need not fear the serpent."

Probably not real applicable to CNC and flooded coolant applications.

gerhardl,

Thanks for the insights and suggestions, I really appreciated it, I asked the area's engineers about the reason of why that kind of coolant..

Currently company is using a much thicker viscosity because water-based oil (looks like milk) overtime damages (rust) the machine's parts..
Machine is already equipped with coolant nozzles directly to tool and jig during process.. however, company is still looking for another upgrade to lessen the time for cleaning after process of each item.. (buying another machine is the least priority so methods should be improved instead)

And as a temporary and I hope not the permanent, spraybooth is provided so that after every process,instead of spraying the item inside of machine to avoid oil dripping on the floor, operator will just spray the finished item at the booth until all oil substance will at least lessen and we can also save a little oil that is accumulated in the spray booth.. however.. I think there is always a better method for this..

Also, operators took longer time in spraying compressed air on the jigs because of scraps.. cause if not properly cleaned it will cause deform in our products.. (it is one of our usual defects here in the production...

A new concept will be a help :)

Make smaller chips and try a part washing machine. Blast removal with air in a machine is a good way to get chips where they don't belong - into gears and motors.

curiousgirl05,

Appreciate your report!

Both Tmooses' and 3DDaves' suggestions should help you trying other solutions. I did like the concept of vacuum sucking. Perhaps together with oil-solving washing afterwards?

If rusting (parts or machine??): particles if magnetic to be removed by strong on/off solenoid?

I can't tell you how many times I have checked out residue problems the "cause machine malfunctions" only to find the chuck or what ever filled with very small chips blown in with an air gun just "cleaning up". Low pressure high volume fluid works much better and it is cheaper also.

Look at he amount of energy necessary to move the chips swarf to the place it is collected or disposal. Look at the cost of making the compressed air versus the cost of using flood fluid.

A.R. "Andy" Nelson
Engineering Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back