Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best applications for Vortex flow meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinCee

Chemical
Dec 26, 2010
US
I just recently installed a Rosemount 8800 on a seal oil loop. I did this basically as a shot in the dark because the coriollis meter was not working reliably and I needed a meter immediately. It is working very well.

I have used these meters on water and steam but nothing else. Because of this I don't really know where else these work well.
What sort of limitations do these meters have? What applications prove difficult for them?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They won't measure low velocity like a mag flow or coreolis.
I would have thought it would have a problem with high viscosity, any idea what that is.
Another flowmeter you can use is an integral orifice (or regular orifice plate for that matter). I know you are not supposed to use orifice plates above a certain renolds number, but if you don't tell the meter they work great, I have proved this on cold 140 weight lube oil.
Roy

I work with one client that favors vortex for the basic flow transmitter. This is rare.

Many issues apply to flow depending upon the size, pressure, temperature, phase, fluid properties and performance requirements. Vortex meters drop from low percentage (perhaps 25% max) to zero. Poor dp flow rate is better than no flow indication. Coriolis meters have great turndown, accuracy and are fine for smaller lines. I would qualify to avoid mixed phase but this applies to other flow meters too. Another issue relates to a simple two-wire 4-20 mA signal vs. a flow meter that also requires power.

Flow meters are a complex topic. Flow measurement can be open channel, differential pressure, oscillatory, magnetic, etc. Many specific flow types exist such as laminar, viscous, compressible etc. Flow meter types include coriolis, elbow taps, orifice, pitot, positive displacement, magnetic, thermal mass flow, target, thermal (anemometer or profile), turbine, ultrasonic (Doppler and transit time) , variable area (rotameter), venturi, vortex, V-cone, etc. I am sure that I missed something. Some new meters use old technologies with modifications to limit the straight piping requirements. This topic could be college courses; daily training sessions or lunch sessions depending upon your real interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back