Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best approach on BOM, need guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

mit95102920

Industrial
Sep 11, 2008
CN
Hi Sir & Ma'am,

I'd like to ask if anyone here could help me out in my BOM project.

I am currently working in an OEM metal manufacturing company, producing mostly metal automotive parts.

What i included in the BOM are metal coils, stamping oil, anti-rust oil, Plastic bags/trays, Carton Boxes, Out-sourced processes like heat treatment, plating & hardening. The management doesn't want to include anymore the labor cost at the bottom of the BOM.

I would like to include in my template the consumption for each material like stamping oil & metal coil. As with the stamping oil for now our technical people just made assumptions, for example 1L/2000pcs but later on i know this will be altered based on historical data, evaluation & observation.
But my main concern is the consumption for metal coils. I made a formula where the consumption is equal to the gross weight of each product over the total weight of the coil, but our problem is that we dont have fix weight per coil, weight is given per order (irregardless of how many coil is that). So now i dont know if i am doing the right approach. or there is still alternative computation for it.

Hope you can enlighten me on this BOM topic & what's the best approach/thing to do.
& i also hope my question is clear enough.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

YOu can't do simple gross weight, unless you have also factored in your scrap. I would figure out the square area of your parts and the area of your coils. Deduct area for scrap, that should give you what you are looking for.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Hi thanks for replying.

Yes, we have a value for the net weight of the product. So we can have the scrap weight, gross less net weight. Since now we have the net wt. are you saying that this net wt should be the one that i should use over the total coil weight? Because presently it is the gross weight that i am using over the coil weight.
Or should there be other approach as to the computation of the coil consumption other than these gross or net wt over total coil wt?

really appreciate your reply, thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back