Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best availble notebook??

Status
Not open for further replies.

V8280Z

Automotive
Mar 13, 2008
US
Just curious as to what others might think or have knowledge of to be the best laptop/ notebook computer readily available for running SW.

I have a $5000 budget to get a new machine and I would like to find the best bang for the buck. I have looked at Dell's M6400, HP's HDX 16T, and Sony's AW all loaded up and all come in under $5k with what seems to be fairly equal specs. Is there any recommendations from anyone about these 3 machines (good or bad) or is there something else out there that I missed that is better??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check reviews at catalyst.com on these items to see true performance per dollar. I've had several Xi systems in the past (not laptops) and Xi is a great company for producing systems that push CAD very efficiently (great bang/buck ratio, high performance, great tech support, etc.).

Jeff Mowry
A people governed by fear cannot value freedom.

Dell, HP and Lenovo all make workstation class laptops. You want a laptop with a CAD graphics card.

Xi computer is also a good choice.

For $5K you should be able to get a killer system.

Check out the SW website for laptops with approved graphics cards. Be sure to select the laptop OEM, not the make of video card, from the lists.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
SW2008 SP5.0, Windows Vista SP1
IBM ThinkPad T61p, T7800, FX570M, 4 gigs of RAM

Dell are great and the most used for Solidworks. I have a M70 (for sell) and now I have a M4400 (fully loaded). Look for the precision series in laptops. M4400 is hard to beat if you're looking for 15" screen and led display.

Before I'd touch a Dell, I'd bring out my old French curves. Dell systems are cheaper than ever because of their parts quality and also because when something goes wrong your technical support will be disastrous...and that's for the home user who wants email, browser and open office.
I use a Toshiba myself for my SW on the move which is fine but I would look the the XI based on the recommendations here. The thing is, you want certain parameters when drawing and aim in that direction. This is NOT a Best Buy decision.

Dell's business tech support is much better. When the video cards on our M65's started giving us problems, the tech guy would be out the next day to swap out the motherboard.

We use Dells. We're not ecstatic, but whenever something goes wrong it gets fixed promptly. The first couple of gens of high powered CAD cards in the smaller laptops had heat problems (M70/M65), but my M4200 hasn't been too bad.

-b

B,
We worked with Dells in our company a number of years ago. I didn't like the fact that I basically had the whole computer repaired in several cases, a mobo here, a screen there because while the business tech support is much better than the home version, you should expect your system to not require so many call outs. That's down time you won't have with a more reliable system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back