Best book for >>Strength of Materials<< stress reference 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitkacy1989

Structural
Dec 8, 2012
DE
Hi All,

I am looking for a book rather with tables than theory, covering strength of materials such as e.g. some particular section shape with loading and corresponding stress visualization, etc.

Well-known Roark's formulas is an extensive reference but it does not provide practical assistance on stress visualization, etc...

What books are you using on daily basis in your engineering practice, which find you helpful?

Regards!
V.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Purpose is to have a reference how theoretical stress should be distributed like. Including normal and shear stresses for various section shapes and geometrical arrangements.

I would recommend searching the internet for "FEA validation and verification". You will find the information you need...

Good Luck!

Chris

V,

Every Strength of Materials book I have found has essentially the same information, written in roughly the same language. The one I used in school was by Riley, Sturges, and Morris. If you provide a specific example, I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

cdill21, thanks! There is no specific example though. But if I were forced to come up with one, I would say I would be happy to see investigation on normal and shear stresses in the compressed, bent and torqued beam which cross-section is a circular tube, but with a cut along the length. Any idea?

The closest thing you are going to get are examples in the textbook. Once you understand those, you will be able to perform this investigation yourself. I am running under the assumption that this was not covered in your formal engineering training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back