Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best books for learning structural eng? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

civilsid

Civil/Environmental
Feb 6, 2007
US
I am a civil PE that happened to pass the CA Seismic exam but know very little about structural engineering- I took two semesters of statics way back in college.

I have been getting multiple calls for designing simple structures such as single floor steel frame buildings, garages, carports, etc.

As long as the problems are relatively simple, I think I should be able to plow through some resources and learn what I need to know. I would even consider college classes if they were through the computer on-line. I need to expand my knowledge base if I am going to keep my office open.

What would be the best materials for learning the basics of SE? Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My personal thoughts:

Concrete Design: Reinforced Concrete: Mechanics and Design by MacGregor

Steel Design: Steel Structures: Design and Behavior by Salmon and Johonson

Masonry: Reinforced Masonry Engineering Handbook: Clay and Concrete Masonry

Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings by Pauly and Prestly

And I haven't used it yet but, Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain is always mentioned within these forums

I would it being pretty hard to do without formal classes in Steel and Concrete Design. Maybe a getting general stuctural engineering handbook would give you a better idea of what you do not know and what you are up against.

I second USCeng09's suggestions for books, particularly these two:

Concrete Design: Reinforced Concrete: Mechanics and Design by MacGregor

Steel Design: Steel Structures: Design and Behavior by Salmon and Johnson

You mentioned you have taken classes in statics, but I would definitely look into books specifically written for structural analysis such as Structural Analysis by Hibbeler or one of the million others on the topic.

I would think not having a class walking you through some of the abstruse code provisions may make you job difficult, but fortunately for simple structures there are often simplified procedures or assumptions you will be able to make.

A word of caution: make sure you know what you know and know what you don't know. Don't be afraid to ask questions about the things you are unsure of, even if it's just to reinforce what you believe to be correct.

Without having any formal experience designing with the codes, you could easily become overwhelmed. PCA produces the "Notes on ACI 318-05 or -08" and "Design of Simple Concrete Structures". Those two will explain the code and provide excellent examples that are simple and easily followed.

Thanks to all-

I actually started by asking around to see if any of my peers locally had any concrete resources and, unbelievably, absolutely nobody had any ACI stuff so I ordered the entire MCP 2008 which set me back several hundred dollars but is well worth it. I don't know what the other engineers base their designs on but I figure it is my job to know how and why something is the way it is and not just "because that is the way everybody else has done it forever". Somehow I don't think that would work to well if I ever got called to defend myself down at the Board of Tech. registration in Phoenix.

As things have slowed down a bit, I have passed out my resume around to some of the larger engineering firms. I would like to learn a lot more about the facets of engineering where I lack expertise and I think that would be one of the best ways to do it. I even applied for some seriously low level positions AND said I was willing to relocate when I did not get any response to job openings that seemed appropriate for my background. I have no idea what the deal is so I continue to run my own office and move forward at a blazing crawl. I know this is not a job board but I just wanted to rant for a minute.

Thanks for all the references / resource recommendations.

This is just an idea..

Maybe you could partner with a structural engineer and combine forces. You would be better able to take on jobs and at the same time you would be learning much more than you could from a book or class. There must be a stray SE or two out there looking for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back