Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best career path for mechanical engineer mom 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AR29

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2021
US
I have always dreamed of becoming a mechanical engineer, and I will be graduating this May!!!
I am female, married, have one kid, and I plan on having more.
It seems like all the jobs I apply to/interview with want someone who will come in and work 40+ hours a week (if not 60+).
Although I love engineering, my family is more important than my job. I am starting to feel like I made a big mistake going into engineering, knowing that I want to have a big family.
My question:
What can I do with a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering that is family friendly? Is there any sort of mechanical engineering entry role that only requires max 40 hours a week or is there anything part time?
I have been thinking of doing paid research and getting either a Masters or PHD because it seems like that has more flexibility in terms of the hours and days off (ex: summer break). At this point, I don't care what I do, as long as I get paid something, and it is in the engineering field.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Entry level engineering in the US working less than 40 hours per week? Not likely. At least for the first few years most companies will demand a lot from you. And it's not always about them giving you too much work, it's about you learning how to do the work in an efficient manner. When you start you may have to work 50+ hours to get 40 hours worth of work done. After a while, maybe you can knock out that amount in 35. (Though there are certainly some "sweat shops" out there than intentionally squeeze every last bit out of humanity from their EITs to turn a profit.) This is my experience in small consulting firms.

There are some larger companies that you can go to work for that will tend to be better on the work schedule. You could also look for government positions. It may require relocating, but I've interacted with several NAVFAC engineers who had very nice schedules, indeed. The hazard here is slower career growth (small consulting firms will often expose you to a lot in a short time). But that sounds like a viable tradeoff for you.

Again, this is my experience in the building design/consulting realm. That may not be the type of mechanical engineering you want to do anyway. In any case, good luck.

There is a cost to starting any career. The degree is just the start. If you want to just work from home and do "engineering chores", you're not going to learn much or be of much use to anyone.

At least in the beginning you will need to rely on peers to learn from. With more experience and the company knowing your value, you will be able to do more independently and from home. This is true for most professions.
Even with all work from home, you still need to go to sites, or go to work for other occasions.

It also depends on how modern your company is. If they all have old guys that still don't know how to use software, unlikely. if it is a modern company, more likely. the only good thing of COVID is, companies were forced to use technology that already was available 5 years ago. I'm always puzzled how conservative and backwards engineering companies can be.

I've bene working from home since COVID and only go to job sites maybe once a week. Rumor has it after COVID we can do half the time from home. but in my case the people i actually work with are from other companies, so i don't sit them with them in an office anyway. The people in my office, do more or less other work. but this isn't typical and most office work relies somewhat on the people in your office.

How did you get through engineering school without spending at least 40 hours per week in class, and studying, and homework, and research, and everything else that is required?

I met my future wife in university while we were both getting Mechanical Engineering degrees. She was recruited by a large Oil & Gas firm, so I dutifully followed her to a new city. I found work with a very small consulting engineering firm: I was the 3rd full time employee, joining the Principal (and his wife, who did our invoicing and admin).

We were married a year after convocation. My wife worked full time (40 hrs/week) for 2 years until our first child arrived. Canada (Alberta) had a 1 year maternity leave at that time, which she used. She returned to full time for about a year until our second child arrived. She again took the 1 year maternity leave. She then returned at 60% time (and 60% pay) but ended up working about 90% time (Production and Operation questions needed to be answered when she was not in the office). Around this time, our small consulting firm had grown to 10 people and was acquired by a larger EPC firm. Once our third child arrived, my wife "retired" to be at home with our kids. We were incredibly fortunate that my compensation had increased to the point where it was sufficient to support our growing family.

We now have six children, with the youngest heading to Kindergarten this fall. My wife has maintained her Professional Engineering designation (in a non-practicing capacity) in case she decides to return to the workforce.

Also, she recently decided to get into Stock Photography (after reading this thread by JohnRBaker):

An old joke is that engineers are married to the profession, and its very true outside of academia. Working hours tend to be longer, both the need to travel and relocate are more frequent than other professions, and ultimately you will bring home work with you bc its a fairly high-stress, confrontational environment with constant deadlines. Part-time is an option offered by some companies to nearly-retired employees, but not usually open to most. I also wouldn't expect a work-from-home option anywhere decent, most employers discovered how truly inefficient that is last spring, hence the push last May to return onsite. If you live in the center of your chosen industry's universe (i.e. Detroit for automotive, Houston for oil&gas, etc) then relocating every couple years isnt much of a concern, but I wouldn't expect to do well jumping industry-industry bc you're trying to stay in an area with little industry. I also wouldn't expect to do a career at only 2-3 companies bc employers aren't financially motivated to keep you forever under 401ks like they were under the old pension systems, most hire and fire en-masse with industry economic cycles. As phaneng alludes to above, your first 3-5 years after college will make school look like a cakewalk - you learned 10% of what you need to be an engineer in school, now its time to learn the other 90%...yesterday. 60+ weeks your first few years will be fairly common, as are 50+ afterward. Personally I find the number of hours has less impact than when those hours occur and the commute time. Early days and short commutes leave plenty of time for after-work activity.

As to job options other than engineering, folks here will readily cite statistics showing 60%+ of engineering grads never work as engineers so don't think you are alone by any means in considering other options. I would caution however that not starting in industry right away will likely be frowned upon if you want to come back later, and advanced degrees are often more limiting than door-opening when pursued with no experience.

Get a job with a federal or state agency. I worked in government and used to see a lot of female engineers leaving the private sector to work in government because of the benefits and time off, but also the financial compensation. Female engineers are still paid substantially less than their male counterparts. Civil Service jobs don’t allow this to happen.

TheRick109 is right and if you are in an "underrepresented" group you have smooth sailing through the process as long as you formally fulfill the requirements. It doesn't necessarily get you the job, but the hiring manager has to come up with really hard reasons why they didn't hire an underrepresented applicant.

EnergyProfessional - I left government after being passed over for continuously for promotions as women and minorities get preference right now in the current political environment. The OP will do fantastic with a government job.

TheRick109: I work for a government and sat in interviews as interviewer. The positions are listed by HR as under-represented before we even see resumes or any candidate. Then after the first interview it seems based on qualification the "underrepresented" applicant is on #4 and we only want to invite the top 2 for a second interview. Then we get reminded about how this position is underrepresented and that #4 all of sudden is #2 and gets invited to the 2nd interview. The original #2 doesn't get invited.
Didn't really work out, since the 2nd interview had detailed engineering questions and it became apparent to other mangers that this person isn't qualified at all. Too bad for the original #2 who didn't get a chance for the second interview.

Some of the discussions about the candidate skills are just about them being from a group. It is like "if we choose candidate X that is from 2 underrepresented groups (i.e. color and gender) we get two for one". The actual qualification is secondary as long as there is not a significant red flag.

I complained about that, and now I don't need to sit in interviews anymore :)

Another new policy is that the interview board needs to include underrepresented people because of bias etc. I don't disagree with that and generally want more diversity. But the problem is we have panel members that do interviews half their work time because the few underrepresented people are in high demand. And that person has absolutely no knowledge of that job (most often from different department and completely different profession).

I concur with the government option (especially local or state). You'll rarely work more than 40 hours per week. Pace of work will be inherently slower. If you work till 5:00, you'll be in your car by 4:59 every night.

alchemon: You paint with a broad brush... I work in government and consider myself eager and hard working. But I know the people you mean...

Working for government can be a hindrance for actual professional development if you are someone who wants to do actual engineering work. I'm in a group of 12 engineers and architects and I'm the only one designing. The rest are hiring consultants and "managing" projects. Basically glorified paper pushers. Many don't even have a degree, but can be hired as engineers or architects anyway. If that is what you want, fine. But I imagine if for some reason we all get laid off, I can work elsewhere with my design experience. In addition, I find actual problem solving much more satisfying.

It is kind of worse for managers. they don't get to design anymore, but have to do a lot of " adult daycare" work what should be done by computers, or admin staff.

Some people were so bad in their job that they got demoted. Took 5 years. But here is the kicker, they still get paid for their higher position. The demotion is only in title.

So if you work in public sector and want to do actual engineering work, make sure you can carve out a niche where you can do that. For me it is nice to be able to focus more on the actual design and not to have to waste time on proposals etc.

Hey EnergyProfessional, am I really painting with a broad brush or being realistic? You may be an exceptional case, but how often are the people in your group putting in more than 40 hours? Or how often are they staying past 5:00 pm? This is what the OP seems to be looking for - something which can be "left at the office".

I'm not implying that this is type of environment is good or bad, or that anyone is not "hardworking" - I am merely stating that inherently these type of positions are slower pace. I know because I have worked in both.

We have flexible times, so there is no 5pm. but we also have to go to public meetings that happen later. Or if we need to meet a contractor at 7am, we have to do that. Depending on your projects, that may happen once every month. Most people here get paid overtime (or comp time). At the higher levels it is 100% pay (at lower levels 150%) for over time. Principals get salary, but they don't design.
Admin staff are some sort of union-type and have specific work times. But professionals typically don't have strict times.

Due to COVID we mostly work remotely and only go on site where needed. Also public meetings are via zoom. I hope we can keep at least some of the "modernisms". But this could be true for any type of design job. Honestly, the people I actually work with on my design (subconsultants, factory reps etc.) I only talked to online most the time even before COVID. I had gotten rid of most paper way back.
I mean, we hire consultants from a State away and if they get away with designing and only coming on site a few times, so should we.

For several reasons, if I had to look for a job, I definitely would look for one that allows at least some sort of remote work and flexibility. In this day and age there is zero reason to go to work 5 days a week.

If there is a real engineer in you, don't fall into this "hiring a consultant for everything" trap. People spend decades here without having used AutoCAD or Revit once. Some of the licensed people here haven't used their stamp a single time in decades (at least not at work).
There are 2 huge incentives for hiring consultants for the work. First, you don't have to do the work yourself. This is an obvious advantage :). Second, anything that ever goes wrong you can blame on the consultant.

Well ar29 has logged in only twice, both on the 12th March!

So clearly has other things to do than converse with people on this thread.... Or even read the posts.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hey!
I appreciated all these responses.
I have definitely thought of trying for a government position but in the end I elected to pursue a PhD in engineering.
The PI I will be working with is happy for me to make my own hours as long as I put in approximately 20 hours a week in the lab. He is also happy for me to take work home at night for when my kids are sleeping which I'd like a lot. So it seems like a win-win; I want to contribute something meaningful to engineering and this job offers me the opportunity to do that. Afterwards, I can either go into academia, consulting, or a government research position which all have more flexibility and aren't closed to PhD engineers. Either way my kid will be older by than so it'll be a whole different story.
(and BTW I'm graduating my undergrad with a 4.0 GPA, so I am definitely not a shirker in any sense. I just work nights, weekends, or whenever my kid doesn't need me. I know that doesn't say anything about the "real world" but it's something)

Thanks for letting us know.

You would get much better use from these forums in future when you actively engage with people who use their free time to respond, even if some ideas are not valid or possible...

But good luck and hoe it works out for you, you do seem very committed and enthusiastic.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hi
Thanks for checking back in. Glad to see that you found such a great way to go forward.
I hope you will feel welcome to continue checking in and letting us know how the PhD is going. Good luck, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back