Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best DAQ for Thermocouples and 4-20 mA Current Loops

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnelson33

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2018
US
Hello all! As the title implies, I'm looking for your favorite serial modbus DAQ devices that y'all have used with pleasure and worked with over the years. We need to replace our OMEGA Engineering D8400 since it decided to not have reliable pin-to-board connections anymore: YT Vid if Curious.

We only use thermocouples and 4-20 mA loop power devices for this test system, but I prefer that any suggestions for DAQ devices have cold junction compensation built in to avoid messing with stupid stuff like that. Filtering and all that is always a plus too, but software can handle that fine. I would also prefer the screw style terminals so I don't have to pitch more cable upgrades as well since I just went through all of that before the D8400 messed up mid testing.

We use DASYlab 2016 Lite which does have some preloads available for certain DAQ devices made by NI, MCDAQ, OMEGA, etc, but it can take any old serial modbus connection as long as it's talking to the right port on the PC itself. I actually don't think some of the add-ins work completely in Lite anyways.

I used NI DAQs with Lab View exclusively at university, and their customer service seems to be leagues above OMEGA when I've contacted them at work here. Has anyone had success with MCDAQ or some other DAQ alternative to a company like NI?

What have been your easiest to implement DAQ devices as well?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What forum is more specific to testing than the testing forum?

I searched that list and this is what fits most generally.

Engineers use DAQ modules for testing all the time unless these large companies are literally moving that fast now?

Different kind of testing - such as product testing.

I'd go with Automation & Robotic Engineering, but if you search the site for similar equipment it may turn up better selections. This forum looks more about inspection/QC than detailed equipment selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back