Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Five Axis Laser? Input Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

BsScotty

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2003
US
I am trying to find the "right" five axis laser for doing prototype work (automotive-steel) in our shop.

I have looked at Mitsubishi, Trumpf, and Mazak.

So...the big question: What five axis is the best for the money in your opinion and why?

Thanks for the input!!

BsScotty

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have 12 years laser operating and maintaining experience. Mazak 5-Axis, Mazak 3-Axis, N.T.C. 5-Axis, Mitsubishi 3-Axis, Shibuya 5-Axis, Shibuya 3-Axis
Now it depends on how your going to run it (Online programming or Off-line programming)
Mazak is the best I've ran for online programming.
N.T.C. for offline. if you have any questions about maintenance costs or replacment part costs or what to look for in the operator feel free to e-mail me

Amada has a 5-axis machine (Theta), looks like it might be pretty decent. Easy access to the work envelope, looks pretty heavy duty, up to (at least) 4kw. Fanuc control.

If you want to look at some fairly wild stuff, check out Prima's Optimo series- that will get you plenty of work envelope!

I only worked on 5-axis machines in '87-'93 timeframe, then a bit in '01 or so.

cheers
Jay Jay Maechtlen

Ran an Optimo back in 96' for about 8 months. (Hope they made lots of changes to it) cause it was a tough machine to learn :) but it had alot of innovative ideas back then

oops- '96? I was thinking '86, which would have been the first in the US.
old series machine with CRG, or newer control?
We did a lot of work to create a friendly interface for the user (file handling, etc), but couldn't do anything about the handbox. (teach pendant to the rest of the planet)
I think a number of the Amada version machines have been upgraded/refitted to newer lasers (and controls?)
regards
Jay
Jay Maechtlen

you will not make a mistake if you buy from one of the top 5 in the u.s. mitsubishi, amada, trumpf, bystro, mazak. service and post sale support will be critical. be careful anywhere else unless you can rebuild the machine yourself. software is the key, you'll need software that can generate code for fixtures as well as parts from a cad file. teach mode is still used but its time consuming and out dated.

the prima machines seem to be the ones that are on the go at the moment ive run all kinds of laser over the years but prima just seem to be doing it at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back