Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best machine for cutting packaging foam for a small business? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark172

Aerospace
Aug 26, 2008
US
I run a small business on the side that sells motorized astrophotography mounts. Cutting our product's packaging foam by hand is a pain (and quality is inconsistent between techs), but ordering custom cut foam is too expensive. I'm a mechanical engineer by day and have broad (albeit mostly shallow) experience with various cutting methods, but I am a bit stumped as to whether laser, waterject, or hotwire is the right fit here. Laser seems to be too expensive, requires a lot of tuning, doesn't do well with deep cuts, not to mention ventilation and safety systems are a must. Waterjet is pricey and messy. I'm leaning towards a two axis CNC router/hotwire machine. I'm looking at cutting ~1000 pieces of foam per year. My preliminary budget is $2k. Not afraid of the DIY route if it's the best option.

Does anyone have professional experience in this arena? What kind of machine would be the right fit here? Specific model suggestions would be icing on the cake. Thanks all for sharing your knowledge.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is appearance of the packaging a concern?

Any reason to not use expanding foam instead of cutting blocks? Either the foam or the part is wrapped in plastic, the foam activated, and the box shut until expansion is complete.

I've used the bags like this. Either adding the part after some expansion has taken place, or using wooden supports removed from the bottom after expansion is finished and before everything is taped shut.

Yeah, the foam-in-place solutions are inelegant for sure.

What's the budget work out to, $2 per item? I don't see you finding a retail solution for that cost.

This is the company I used, mostly because they were local and had no problem doing such a small/limited scope project with us. I think it was in the neighborhood of $50 for a custom foam set ordered in quantities of around a dozen. This was some number of years ago, though.

Is there a possibility of making a mold and filling it yourself with a poured product? I just hate to use subtractive methods with foam, it creates a lot of waste product (not that the whole thing isn't disposed of, ultimately).

Have you considered making simple sheet metal molds then using expanding Styrofoam beads, you can expand these yourself with the necessary steam equipment or take them to a Styrofoam molder.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

For that sort of foam and that level of complexity waterjet is the best bet. My experience is shipping test equipment with the US Navy and that was the optimum choice. Unlike hot-wire, the waterjet can cutout anywhere and unlike CNC it doesn't generate a load of small particles. I don't see lasers as applicable as they can't do the depth required without generating a significant slope from the conical focus - unless the pieces are 1/4 inch or less in thickness. They also will generate some noxious fumes.

Why do you think waterjet is messy? For cutting foam I think they can run on straight water and simply shear the foam. I've seen examples on foam and other elastic materials and they didn't remove any material - zero kerf.

Is a waterjet expensive? Yup - so find a waterjet company to run the parts. If you can, set the delivery schedule as relaxed as possible to see if they can give you a break as fill-in work.

Great perspectives, all. Rputvin's comments made me think die-cut cardboard may be better packaging for our product all around (cheaper, less waste).

For the stuff that absolutely requires foam I'll look into local waterjet outfits.

Again, thank you all for your input.

1000 units per year? Check (yawn).

If:
[ul]
[li]hole cutouts are extruded cuts and not weird 3D undercuts or other oddball shapes[/li]
[li]foam is of a sufficient durometer/stiffness[/li]
[li]can apply a vacuum system for sucking up all the dust & crumbs[/li]
[/ul]

then I'd probably look into an inexpensive 3-Axis X-Y-Z router of some sort. Add a vacuum table for workpiece holding. For another project, I've investigated this recently and found dozens of variants on the market of all different sizes. Some of the units from China were particularly interesting, but...from China. Programmed with CAD-CAM packages, even the cheapo stuff. Search YouTube to learn about these little jewels of modern technology.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Manufacturing Engineering Consulting

I used to use hot wire cut EPS foam, but it made a lot of waste and the foam was expensive. I've since moved to custom corregated and folded cardboard. Fits just as well and I can shred the waste for filler in other packaged items

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back