Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best manufacturing process reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkeenn

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2010
US
I am a mechanical engineer in need of a good manufacturing process reference. I have texts from college but they are rather dated. I need something that doesn't look at cnc as something new :) .

The equipment/processes I am looking for are laser welding, wire edm, swiss lathes, and live tooling. Additionally, it would be nice if the text dealt with more than basic milling (perhaps discuss lollipop cutters and chatter). Ideally it would contain typical tolerances/surface finish as well and was updated in the last 5 years.

Perhaps I'm dreaming.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I doubt you'll find a single reference book for everything. A good start are the texts used to teach the community college MfgEngrgTech classes. You would probably have to get several books, lurk around a lot of machinists trade magazine websites, and find different discussion forums to monitor. I had a lot of experience in laser welding and I never found any materials on hard process engineering topics, I had to gather the tribal knowledge of "how-to" over time from many sources.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

Obverall, I agree with the previous comments. Regarding good references on machining, I think that Cutting Tool Technology: Industrial Handbook by Graham T. Smith is a modern book with a lot of good information. Here are some links:

Specifically on EDM, AgieCharmilles has a lot of useful information on their website available for free download. Here's the link:

Tool and Manufacturing Engineers Handbook from SME Society of Manufacturing Engineers. There are now multiple volumes and cover nearly all manufacturing processes. It is available through SME or Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back