Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best material for IR transparency in the 7.5 - 13.5 micrometer range

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelkSA

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2013
ZA
I want to build a camera gimbal dome to cover a flir Tau IR camera (7.5-13.5 micrometer band, or Long Wavelength IR) as well as a visible spectrum camera.

What would be a good polymer to use for such an application, taking factors such as impact resistance and manufacturing difficulty into account?

Thank you in advance.
Michael

------------------------------------------
Here's looking at you, looking at me, looking at you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Generally, glass epoxies or carbon fiber are high on the list.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Thank you IRstuff.

Am I correct in saying that perspex is out of the question, but polycarbonate might also work?

Michael

------------------------------------------
Here's looking at you, looking at me, looking at you

IRstuff,

Your recommendations are for IR only, correct? They do not seem like good ones for visible spectrum transparency.

Michael,

In general, polycarbonate would be favored in these types of applications due to its high impact resistance, while acrylic (PMMA, Perspex) has poor impact resistance.

Yeah, I had originally thought he was talking about the windows, but then decided he was actually talking about the gimbal housing itself, which does not need to be transparent.

So, Michael, perhaps you can clarify whether you intend to be able to see through the "dome."

If so, your cost probably grew by a couple orders of magnitude. Most polymers that are "transparent" in the LWIR are not particularly transparent in the visible. Zinc Selenide is pretty much the only crystalline material usable in the visible and LWIR, but there is some "color" to its visible transmissivity.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back