Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best path for Steel Detailers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnotherDetailer

Structural
Sep 24, 2024
US
I’m a steel detailer, and I’ve noticed that more and more connection engineering is being treated as part of the deferred design process. While some connections require a stamped design by a licensed engineer, often times they are completed “under the supervision of a professional engineer,” which leaves the actual design work open to us detailers before being reviewed by the engineer of record (EOR).
My question is: where should a steel detailer start if they want to be able to design their own simple connections? I’m not looking to take on the full responsibility of a licensed structural engineer, but in cases where the designs are still reviewed by the EOR, I’d like to have the skills to complete basic connections (like shear tabs, base plates, and bracing connections) on my own.
I know there’s a lot of responsibility here, and it’s important to follow the guidance of licensed professionals, but I’m curious how other detailers have navigated this gray area between detailing and engineering. Thanks for any input!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does AISC have something like the CISC has in Canada? There's a couple hundred hour online course for detailers and engineers on connection design, and you get a certificate at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back