Best plastic material /grade for snow shovels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowshovel1

Materials
Oct 25, 2023
US
Hello,

I own a small snow shovel product, 30” push shovel and am currently using HDPE material and am looking for alternate materials that can be injection molded and have better performance against abrasion and cold temperatures. Most competitors are using a blend of HDPE and UHMW sheet material. I’m looking into nylons such as Nycast and PAI – Polyamideimide. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you're on the right track with polyamide/Nylon. Do include some type of reinforcement like glass fiber. I don't know much about manufacturability with regards to PA. PE plastics don't bond well with things which limits how much strength you can gain from reinforcement. They do achieve remarkably high tensile strengths (we run UHMWPE rope on our boats and they offer equal strength to steel of same dimension in tension). PA might not have those high tensile numbers but will be much more rigid.

You should check the cost of PAI before you get too excited. It also requires post-moulding curing.
An ideal material would be a glass reinforced TPU. Great wear resistance, low temp impact, chemical resistance.
Note it's not cheap, and needs vacuum drying before moulding.

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

Just had a thought. A glass reinforced impact modified PA6 would be ok. E.g. Du Pont ST801 is an unreinforced grade. Others are available.

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

Cost vs. benefit analysis would seem to be needed; how durable and long lasting is it supposed to be? I go to the Rite Aid in Tahoe to buy a plastic snow shovel and I don't really expect much longevity from it. I buy something from HB or HD, I expect somewhat longer longevity, depending on the price point.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back