Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Practices: Client and Tenant complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.

TradeSchoolTeacher

Electrical
Jun 9, 2006
US
BEST PRACTICES UPDATE: TENANTS

Every air conditioning man serving commercial and office buildings knows the value of placating and massaging the egos of clients and tenants who are complaining about the a/c system. We have learned that going in with our psychometric thermometers atwirl and making small adjustments to supply registers usually solves the problem--for awhile--until the complainer has another adverse situation which can be conveniently blamed on the climate conditioning.

We have become the placebo medication for their job dissatisfaction. This is not to say that all their complaints are imaginary, some are, some aren't. But in either case, looking up their room temperature on a computer monitor in the basement and then phoning to say that the problem has been taken care of (perhaps by tweaking the temp a degree or two) almost always serves no purpose because that's not what they want. They want someone to come to their office and pay attention to them. This was amply demonstrated by the GE corporation in the 1920's in a lighting study.

General Electric, the major manufacturer of light bulbs, had preliminary evidence that better lighting of the work place improved worker productivity, but wanted to validate these findings to sell more light bulbs, especially to businesses. GE funded the National Research Council (NRC) of the National Academy of Sciences to conduct an impartial study. AT&T's Western Electric Hawthorne plant located in Cicero, Illinois, was chosen as the laboratory. Beginning with this early test, the "Hawthorne Experiments" were a series of studies into worker productivity performed at the Cicero plant beginning in 1924 and ending in 1932.

The earliest experiment was conducted by the NRC with engineers from MIT. The study ended in 1927 with the NRC abandoning the project. The group examined the relationship between light intensity and worker efficiency. The idea was that greater illumination would yield higher productivity. Two work groups of employees were selected for "control" and "experimental" groups. By comparing the changes on worker productivity by manipulating lighting in the experimental group with the production of the control group, the researchers could validate and measure the impact of lighting.

In a nutshell, when the lighting was increased, efficiency went up. So they increased the lighting even more, and the productivity achieved goals that management thought were unattainable. A further increase in lighting brought even greater results. GE was ecstatic. In a daring move, they started to reduce the lighting, expecting productivity to decline, but just the opposite happened. Productivity increased again. So they reduced the lighting to below the level it was before the experiment, and productivity soared even higher.

Why did this happen? Any air conditioning man (or woman) could explain it. While the experiment was going on, the researchers paid a great deal of attention to the workers, inquiring about the work, asking how the lighting was, in short, making the workers feel important. It was those actions that caused the increase in productivity. (And was subsequently proven by the steady decline in productivity after the experiment even though the lighting levels were kept high.) This is the same service that air conditioning departments provide. If they don't do this particular job well, they suffer by getting poor reviews and dissatisfied clients and tenants.

Incidentally and unfortunately, the sociological academic community has decided to attribute the Hawthorne Effect to a desire by the test subjects to please the so-called scientific observers. This egocentric attitude on their part has impeded social research ever since and effectively skews what could otherwise be helpful behavioral data into hopeless gobbledegook. This is not to say that there is not useful research which produces insightful data. The latest in this latter vein was published in the British Medical Journal on February, 1, 2006 and was the subject of a column by Jessica Ruvinsky in the magazine DISCOVER in the April 2006 issue and may be viewed on the net at

Uh, ... so?

Yes, the Hawthorne Effect is a placebo. Which hasn't prevented me from using it to effect real productivity (and morale) improvements.

I'm annoyed, and maybe a little envious, of the amount of money that periodic roadshows, clearly Hawthorne- based, squeeze from management on a regular basis. Maybe you actually could measure the difference between them, if you could find a way to subtract the Hawthorne Effect's effect, but to do that, you'd need Top Management clueless enough to get sucked into multiple "Magic Bullet" programs...

... which is no trick to find,

... and someone who could tell them that they had been duped, twice or more, and sell them on the idea of looking at the whole thing as a Grand Scientific Adventure, from which actual useful data could be gleaned.

... I haven't yet met that person.

Of course it would be wonderful to be the person who could _un-sell_ the roadshows, prevent the waste of much money, and substitute a simpler, homegrown program of, well, basically, just chatting up the help, and continuing to do so.

... I haven't yet met that person, either.

Idiots who are in the market for Magic Bullets will not settle for anything less.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Interesting- I'm going to clip and save this information - I am watching with interest a series of post-occupancy studies (POE's) of some local buildings and I'm seeing similar interesting results. As a designer of low energy passive HVAC systems, we are tasked to design to a Client guideline that allows an indoor temperature range of 20C to 26C indoor temperatures. However, the occupant feed back is intertesting- on the same day in adjacent rooms, one occupant complains of being too cool at a room temperature of 22.5C and next door, the other occupant is complaining about being too warm at 23.4C. The rooms are the same, with the same windows and orientation. Now, ASHRAE standards hold us to keeping 80% of the occupants satisfied 80% of the time, but what the POE data is showing is that occupant comfort standards are a really fine line in spite of other published data and standards we designers are asked to meet. So, while I may have satisfied the Client guidelines, the occupants certainly seem to have different standards. The occupants aren't footing the bills for the building cost or the energy use, so how much sleep do I lose at night worrying about the occupant comfort complaints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back