Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Practices - Commercial Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjacorn

Structural
Jan 9, 2006
US
Hi, I work for a residential homebuilder and we are just starting to move into some commercial construction (restaurants, bars, etc.). I'm wondering if there is a "Best Practices" book or similar for this sort of construction? These types of book abound in the residential field.

Specifically, we are trying to build 2-story commercial buildings and we would LOVE to see how others are building these things. Wood framing or steel or block? Sprinkler system or no? Steel trusses or wood trusses?

Thanks.

Trevor

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We do residential and light commercial and we always use wood I joist, wood trusses, wood stud wall. Sprinkler system? isnt that the architect's job?

Yeah, we have architects in office. We're trying to make these decisions together.

Wood stud walls aren't going to work for most of our buildings. They will each be two-story (2500 ft^2/floor) which means we must meet A3 construction via BOCA or put in a sprinkler system.

Oops, that would be 2A construction.

Our biggest question is this: Does a 2 story commercial building require a sprinkler accoding to BOCA?

BOCA disappreared in 2002 when the 3 code bodies merged into ICC.

I suggest you invest in a 2003/2006 IBC where you can look at types of construction, use groups, and determine what your project will require. Sprinklers allow you to increase the height and area permitted by the code based on the type of construction and the use, amount of open perimeter, etc.

The architect's in the office should be able to help you answer these questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back