Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Practices for Individual Part Files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdvantageDesign

Automotive
May 19, 2005
US
Can someone recommend a method for storing individual parts within an assembly. We have a part library that contains standard parts. The problem is that we modify many of these parts within our assembly. Example: A 200mm angle may be cut to 180mm. If I reference a 200mm angle then modify it, the standard library part would be changed to 180mm. What I have been doing is copying all of my parts to the directory of my assembly file. When adding standard parts, can I grab them from my library then write them out to a new directory; therefore avoiding the risk of modifying my standard parts.

Thanks, Joe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The modified part should become a new part number. If it doesn't how do you control anything or know which part is for what?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

you should be able to use assemblies->deform part in your assembly to modify a standard part without getting a new number. This way the part in library will not change but it will be shown at a different shape (length for example) in your assembly. look at help documentation for how to use "deform part"

I do agree with that.Add the deforming expressions(changing dimensions) to deformable part . which will allow you to change those expressiions in the assembly with out changing the part number.

In addition to deforming expressions (which may be limiting), you can use the geometry linker for even more changes within the assembly. That said, you should be changing the part number to the modified part.

--
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back