Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best profile for hand driven 2" Ø pile in sand/clay 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmoose

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2003
US
We have to hand drive (BFH) a bunch of 2" Ø steel pipes/piles in sand/clay.

What is the best profile for the ends of the piles ?

It looks like "well points" favor cones tapered 3 or 4 to 1, or a cone with 6 or 8 flat sides.

thanks,

Dan T

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try test pile for one each and observe.

If the driving profile is relatively free from rocks, the shape of the compacted soil mass on the pile tip/toe is rounded and tends to adjust as the soil profile density changes during pile penetration. The compacted soil mass shape seems to adjust to provide the desirable shape. I have usually opted for a flat plate for the pipe end, unless a hardened tip was desirable due to rocky soils. It would seem like a 2" pipe would be 'pointed' enough.

As I have observed during numerous pile driving operations, the use of a driving tip may be important during initial driving, to minimize 'wandering' in the 1st foot or 2 and at the end, if penetration (socketing) into a substantially harder stratum is desired/required. I have had clients who would use conical tips for shallow PVC 2" monitor wells, placed in augered holes in soft 'squeezing' soils . Neither I nor my drillers could ever detect any advantage over a flat end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back