Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best PTC components for designing cylinder heads and valve trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxerTen

Computer
Mar 17, 2013
GB
Hi,

First some background, I'm not a mechanical engineer by training rather a mathematician/physicist and lately software developer. I am interested in designing high performance cylinder heads and valve trains for n/a spark ignition internal combustion engines. To that end I have been playing for some time with a limited version of Creo Elements/Direct Modelling and managed, with a little effort, to get it to perform a pleasing variety of tasks (my ignorance of design philosophies I suspect being the main impediment!).

I am aware there is a suite of PTC products available, however the distinction and capabilites between Creo Parametric, Creo Elements/Direct Modelling, Creo Direct, Creo Elements/Direct Surfacing, elude me.

Given I want to design a cylinder head with combustion chamber, inlet and exhaust ports, internal coolant/oil passages, along with the head's camshafts, timing gears, valves, etc. which package/s from the PTC suite would be most suitable? Budget is a consideration - if things get into 5 figures the wife will be wanting a vote ...

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Creo Parametric is all you should need.
To aniamte the assmeble, you will need Mechanica.

Unless you can get a student license, a full seat of Creo and Mechanica may get close to 5 figures.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back