Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Roark's Edition ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angstromjr

Aerospace
Jul 20, 2010
US
Looking to buy Roark's...
Do you have a preferred edition of Roark's? Is one better than the rest?
Does one have a lot of errors?
Which should I buy?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only one I've ever had need for was the 4th edition (1965). A bit dog-eared by now, but I've still got it, although having retired four years ago, it has taken on a decent layer of dust ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

The 7th edition has about 2x the number of pages as the 4th, in addition to appendices not in the 4th. It seems to me to be one of those things that the newest tends to be the "best" since it covers topics not previously addressed, or even contemplated. You can always find errata sheets for this type of publication.

Nevertheless, most of the recent editions can be found in PDF, and you can own multiple copies without cluttering anything beyond your hard drive.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Best thing about the old editions, like the 4th is the equations were complete. Not a bunch of "C" factors equations that increase the risk of calculation error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back