Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best software combination for composite/metal assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdrianSonelly

Materials
Mar 14, 2005
RU
Hi,
What would be best software combination for FEA of an assembly consisting of carbon/epoxy/honeycomb core monocoque with alu bulkheads and potted hardpoints. Tubular subframes and various brackets bolted to composite structure. Monocoque may have non uniform lay-up i.e. additional ply's or C/F tape in critical areas, lap joints etc.

Main criteria’s:
Capability to import relatively complex assembly from CAD (SolidWorks)
Exceptional capabilities to model composites – draping etc.
Easy to use/user friendly, intuitive interface a

It doesn’t matter if it will be a combination of more than/two packages.

You opinion/advise is highly appreciated.

Thank you

Adrian

PS: For now I started learning/trying MCS.Patran as preprocessor but I've heard that it's not the only or best solution.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I recommend using shell elements (not solids). If you can represent the outer mold line with surfaces you should be able to mesh it and offset the laminate to the correct position. I recommend you use Nastran for this because it is the best application for structures like this and allows offseting laminates using various methods. We use NEiNastran but MSC should work as well. I would also look at FEMAP which may be easier to handle than Patran (though both are very capable). The NEiNastran pre and post is FEMAP though they call it something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back