Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Software for a Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRKexcavating

Civil/Environmental
Oct 18, 2006
US
First off, great reference tool this forum is... I apologize if I overlooked the answer to my question but here goes....

I just started my excavating business and after 15 yrs. of working in the dirt for other people I now need to learn the ropes of running my own business as far as the office work goes.... I have been researching Take-Off Software but am confused about what to buy.... have been receiving ITB's for small commercial projects ie; carwash, auto parts store, small office building, etc.. and want some help in the takeoff procedure.... of course $$ is an issue but I also don't wan't to buy something that is too limited in it's abilities should my businees continue to grow... Thanks in advance for anybody's help...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are many earthwork programs availabele. However, unless you are willing to to spend a lot of time learning to use the program, (instead of building the project), you may be overloading yourself. A good earthwork program, digitizer, computer and printer can cost several thousand dollars. It may be more cost effective to hire an independent estimstor to figure the quanties for you and then you apply the unit prices for the work.

Be sure you hire someone you can trust to give you the correct quantities and who will also keep your info private.

Get references on anyone you are considering. Ask them what software they ar using, get graphic reports (3-D and xsect) to make sure the data was entered correctly. A good estimator will alert you to potential problems with a particular project, i.e. dirt thar has to be moved more than once, plan errors, potential change orders, etc.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back