Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best software for routing piping, HVAC, and electrical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolboy55

Mechanical
Oct 22, 2008
CA
Hi everyone,

Would anyone be able to recommend a good package for routing piping, ductwork, and electrical? I have heard that SolidWorks does not have good ductwork capabilities, but I haven't heard of a better alternative. If anyone has a recommendation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

CB55

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Solid Edge has express route and some cable harness utility but I'm not sure that it's necessarily any better than SW. I'm not familiar with SW equivalent so can't say.

What kind of application are you doing this in, construction?

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Hi Kenat,

Thanks for your response. Yes, the application is construction, but I'd like to get software that is not geared only towards routing but has the flexibility for other uses as well. It seems to me that SE or SW are the best options for this, but if there are other players out there with better routing features I would appreciate any recommendations.

Autodesk Inventor "routed systems" version has piping/wiring functionality just like Solidworks..

Get a demo of both and evaluate them for yourself. They however are both typical 3d cad systems for modeling anything from a screw to a tractor,etc..

For the construction industry I think that Autodesk Revit (MEP) might be better.

I'd think it would be best for you to talk to a reseller of those software platforms and discuss your specific details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back