Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best software to create iso drawings from PDS software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyfatface

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2006
Hi, the software I need is to get iso drawing from PDS model, since we do not have PDS on site. No neccesary to be able to make changes to the model , just let us cutomize the iso output. I have been told isogen and spoolgen from alias, anyone has some experience on this issue? Thanks for sharing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Isogen, is the only way forward in my opinion.

It is an Alias product, but has recently been bought over by Intergraph Corperation.

see

pipingdesigner
pipingdesigners%20logo.gif

Thanks. But I contacted with alias. They said ISOGEN can only be sold with existing piping product, not sold standalone. We do not have any piping product. What we would like to do is to bring PDS model from a contract company and generate the iso. We would do this ourselves to better help the fabrication.

SPOOLGEN is all including but too expensive(around $35,000) to our project(less than 150 ISO drawings). What is ideal for us is a tool that could generate CAD files for Autocad use so that we can make some modifications.

Any other tools you guys can think of?

WHat I want to add here is when I called a reseller , I was told isogen can be sold independently but at a higher price. What I need confirm is that ISOGEN can surely extract iso drawings totally with the absence of PDS. Is there any limitation you guys can think of?

BTW, if you know what file will be extracted from PDS for ISOGEN use, please let me know.

many thanks

Wei

You have told us that you want to generate isometrics in order to help the fabricator. You told us that you are concerned about the cost ($35,000) of any new program. You also told us that this is a very small job effort (<150 isometrics)
Comments:
#1 - I suggest you get back to your fabricator. Based on my past experiance with pipe fabricators they may be able to draw their shop drawings right from the PDS model.
#2 - The cost of the new program ($35,000) does not include the cost of the training for the new users.
#3 - I don't know the size of your staff or their qualifications or your time limits but If there are less than 150 isometrics you might be better off just drawing manual isometrics.

Thanks pennpiper, though you did not provide much useful information.

We are engineering group for fabrication. We and our fabrication group do not have PDS or other software that can read PDS model. All we have here is AUTOCAD.

Though this job effort is small , I would prefer spending $35000 to buy spoolgen instead of manually drawing isodrawings in autocad.The money is big but compared with manufacturing cost , it is nothing. We would not risk any error that comes from manual schetch.

I was a PDS user. ISOGEN is enough for us from my experience. WHat I want to know before placing order is whether ISOGEN can do the same without PDS environment.
While I asked the same question to ALIAS sales, they provide paradox answers. And they are persuading me to buy spoolgen.

Thanks again.

For a cheaper solution in which you not only can use Isogen but also go forward with any new projects, contact the following gentleman: Sergio Hernandez @832-252-0300 Ext 218.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back