Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best types of batteries 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankiee

Marine/Ocean
Jun 28, 2005
CA
So quite simply, what is the best kind of battery for say a digital camera. I was taught in school that it was alkaline.
What do the pros use?
Also, is the good old lead acid car battery still the best or do the new spiral core batteries have any thing more to offer?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's any easy one, "pros" don't use digital!

From a simple number of shots perspective, alkalines are probably better, since the low-batery sensor is tied to the voltage it receives and alkalines tend to start at a higher voltage.

But, you can also use an external battery pack to keep up the shot count and minimize the recycling delay for flash photos. Actually, pros often use battery packs for their camera flashes, anyway.

TTFN

The current high capacity NiMh rechargables are pretty good for digital cameras. There is a relatively high initial outlay, but in the long run much cheaper than alkalines. With the 2500-2700mAh cells they really last a long time per charge.

Many of the compacts digitals have proprietary battery packs that use Li-Ion for decent capacity from small size

Oh, as far as automotive, I think the good old flooded cell lead acid is still the best bang for the buck; and in general, the best way to go.

Big consideration is how much shelf life you want it to have
after you charge it, and before you run out to use it.

Alkalines dont like high current draw and reports say
some more modern digital cameras and alkalines dont mix.
No battery life at usable voltage with the higher current draw.

NIMH tends to self discharge faster than NiCad technology.

Nicads (quality ones) like to be worked hard and give
good life if charged hard and used hard.

Most other technologies prefer shallow discharges
for good life span. Nicads want heavy usage.

You can not get a battery to to better than designed,
You can do a lot to cause early death.
Over charge, high temperatures. Deep cycling...

Best to match your choice of cell technology to
your personal type of usage.

I use NiMH and try to plan a charge session before I go
for maximum power.

On my digital camera, cheap AA alkalines just don't work because of the high current drain. It needs premium alkalines. NiMH with high discharge rates are working fine. These rechargeables may cost $4. each but in the long run they will cost much less than the the use of premium alkalines. The only advantage of the premium alkalines will be more pictures before having to change batteries, but the difference is smaller than it used to be with NiCads.

in terms of capacity:
Alkaline AA is about 2800 mAh
NiMH AA is about 2100 mAh
NiCad is about 1000 mAh

The current discharge capacity (the equivalent internal resistance) varies between manufacturers. On my camera the Panasonic NiMH performs better than the Energizer NiMH, even if it has a lower capacity spec. But with a camera that draws less current, the Energizer might be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back