Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to clean black rubber mask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowpan

Computer
Dec 19, 2009
CA
Hello

I have a black rubber darth vader mask that I came across while going through storage. The mask has a white film/residue all over it. The residue is not thick and is spread over the mask in an uneven pattern. The distribution is uneven, but generally the entire mask is covered.

I have tried to clean it with water, soap and water, scrubbing with a coarse brush. But it does not seem to help at all. The only progress I have made is using my finger nail and intensely scratching one spot at a time...but this would take forever.

Is there anything anyone can suggest that I can use to clean this film off of them mask? I have heard that some oils can damage it and I would like to avoid that.

As far as the type of rubber...I can not say for certain. There do not seem to be any marks/symbols to signify anything. The rubber is about 1mm thick. It is very flexible. It was made by liquid rubber in a mold. It seems to be a very high quality rubber and product.

Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try warming the rubber mask. The ingredients in the rubber that bloomed may re-solubilize into the rubber at a warm temperature. I'd initially try maybe 50C-70C (120-160F).
It may not be a permanent solution, tho, as the ingredients may bloom again in the future, but it may take a while.
Good luck!
tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back