Best way to estimate parasitic capacitance

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluidsM

Mechanical
Nov 13, 2006
CA
Hello,

I am working with an experimental system that includes many meters of tubing, a hydraulic accumulator, a few step changes, ball valves, and is driven by a peristaltic pump. I want to be able to estimate the parasitic capacitance of my system so that I can then compare that to the deliberate capacitance generated by the hydraulic accumulator. Has anyone done this before?

I suppose I could use a flow meter and measure the amount of time that it takes for the flow rate to change once the RPMs of the peristaltic pump is increased, but it seems to me that any measurements I get out of that are going to be off by a significant percent.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Software man ... software.

You need something that will do transient analysis of fluid power systems. I'm not in that line, but someone else might have some ideas as to which ones they like.

If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use? Two strong oxen or 1024 chickens?" - Seymour Cray (1925-1996), father of supercomputing

This is, or was a big issue in CI engine diesel fuel injection systems - at least in the older ones with injector pumps. Suggest you search accordingly. Depending on your objective, a simplified static analysis should give you and idea fairly quickly whether or not the parasitic capacitance is going to be significant compared to the accumulator capacitance.

Cheers

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back