Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best way to measure 8 microns ID 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

limct

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2003
HK
I'd like to know the best way to measure a diameter 6mm (G6, ie. tolerence +0.004 / +0.012). Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dependant on the length of the bore there are various ways, bore micrometers,bore clocks(diatest for smaller bores like this) or CMM.

Other choices include an optical comparator or a microscope with an attached camera (use a scale to measure magnification if unknown).

Hello Pohbah & Corypad,
Many thanks to the quick response. In fact, I've tried it out with a three-pin micrometer but when the accuracy (per the manufacturer specs) is approx. 0.002mm, I don't know if this is fine when the accuracy of the measuring instrument is 20% of the overall tolerance called for the work piece.

Secondly, about the optical comparator, some vendors used to approach me to suggest their sub-micron accuracy scope system, and I believe this could be one of the best option but only when cost is not an issue.

Is that possible to special made a plug-gauge (go-nogo)? What should be the appropriate diameters then?

Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back