Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best way to move forward? I have one job offer and waiting for response from other. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechEngineer2012

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2017
US
Hello Engineer,
I am currently employed and I had applied for two jobs about a month ago.
The first job was very much aligned with my interests. I checked with HR person today and she said the hiring manager is out on vacation and will be back in 3 weeks. I have to wait till he makes the decision. It looks like I am not completely out of the selection.

The second one is not much technical in nature (my interest is more in technical Engineering job) but the pay is better than my current job. I have received a job offer for this one and they want me to join them as soon as possible.

My question is: what is a professional way to handle this situation. I want to know If the first company will hire me. I would rather work for the first company. If they didn't select me then I will move to the second job and accept there offer.
My options are:
-Do not reply to second company offer, no emails no phone and after a month if the first company does not hire me, then I will go back to them and apologize for late response and accept there offer.
-Accept second offer and start working there. If the first company offers me the job, then I will quit the second position.

What do you suggest? Can you suggest any better approach?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I forgot to mention. The first position is Engineering related and is internal position in my company and more chances they will select me. This will be a smooth transition and therefore I would rather wait for their decision before accepting the other offer.

There is typically a three month probation period for new companies. If you get another job in that time then let them know what you think your happy with and what challenges your looking for if they cannot match up to the other offer put in a resignation.

If you want to move companies frequently in a small period of time that's fine until you find a position that fits with your needs and the companies needs. If you remain in a position where the company needs are being fulfilled but not your needs then you have a job not a career, and people quit jobs all the time.

Money isn't everything, and changing jobs solely for money is often a mistake, unless there's something terrible about your current job and you can't stand being there. Nevertheless, you can try and see if Plan B can wait for your decision.

As one adage says, "if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life."

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I would suggest being honest with both employers. Why not call the offer you have and honestly explain your situation. See if they are willing to wait.

My options are:
-Do not reply to second company offer, no emails no phone and after a month if the first company does not hire me, then I will go back to them and apologize for late response and accept there offer.
-Accept second offer and start working there. If the first company offers me the job, then I will quit the second position.

The first option you show is not a good idea. They have offered you a job. If I did not hear back from you in 2 weeks max, the offer would be rescinded and I would not bother to tell you it was.

The second option is also not a good idea. Again, they offered you a job in good faith. You only work for them a very short length of time and then quit for no reason that is their fault.

Lets introduce Bob into the equation. You take the job offer you have, and then they let you go in 2 weeks because Bob finally calls after a month of silence and decides he wants the job they just gave you. They preferred Bob over you to start with so they let you go for him but for no reason that is your fault. How would you feel? Is your old job still available? Maybe not. In fact Sue may be working your old job.

Thank you all for your response.
I asked the company that has offered me a position and they said they cannot wait and there are other candidates in line and they need to make a decision.

What If I explain the situation to the company that I want to work for and ask them about my chances of getting the job. If they say that I have good chances then I can delay the response to the other company as long as I can. This may or may not ruin my chances, though. What do you all suggest?

I'd be curious to know the general state of your local employment market. You are in severe danger of burning bridges in more ways and directions than you realise. You have a job offer in hand. Two choices , stay where you are or accept the offer.

If it becomes knowledge that you might quit , or might be looking for a "better" opportunity, or cant be relied on to honor your commitments, you will rapidly become unempoyable.

What if? Do it already. Call the preferred employer and lay it on the line. Exercise some agency on your behalf.

IMHO this kind of foot-dragging by the preferred employer is a red flag. They're treating you like a commodity and are showing no respect for you or your time. Whatever their priorities are, getting you on their team is not one of them.

But wait...there's more!
But this offer is only for a limited time and you must act today!

The difference is only money? As a Person of Faith I would take that as a message to let the temptation pass because that new position was not meant to be.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

I don't get the dilemma, since you've essentially indicated that the job with the offer isn't interesting, in general, or as interesting as your current job. So what if it pays more if you're not going to like the work? Why are you making this so complicated? The fact that you're grinding on this is a warning sign to me to not hire you, since you seem overly eager to bail at a whiff of extra money.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

IRstuff,
The job offered to me is exactly same as what I am doing now with a little higher pay. I don't mind working in this role but it is not related to Engineering. The tasks are creating word reports, printing and saving documents. I prefer the other position because it is more technical in nature like creating drawings, doing calculations and other engineering analysis.

How much better pay is it to do the same work at a different place? If I did not like the work, I would stay where I was and hope for the job more in line with what I want to do.
What is the after tax amount of money difference?

There can be other costs associated with job changes too.

Is it just a little higher pay? Or...

Is it a shorter or longer commute?
Is it higher or lower health insurance premiums?
Is it more or less 401K match?
Is there more or less bonus potential?
etc...

You very well may have taken all of this into account already; but if you haven't, you'll want to if an increase in salary is the only consideration taken into account at this point.

I made a job change about a year ago for "slightly higher pay" but I did end up paying more for health insurance and lost some 401k match in the change. Though like you, I didn't like what I was doing at the time and this was an opportunity to get into a role I was interested in. So overall, the increased expenses/lost retirement contribution and the pay increase were sort of a wash, but the change in roles was definitely worth it (at least so far).

Andrew H.

Given that you've stated the first position is INTERNAL TO YOUR CURRENT COMPANY, I would be surprised if a decision to leave that company for the second position does not affect your chances to be offered the first position later at your current company.

I've always liked the saying don't accept a job you can't afford to quit. Taking a higher paying job is not always your best option. If you don't like what you are doing but are making ends meet stick it out till a job you like comes along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back