Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to remove welded electrical connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmb042

Geotechnical
Apr 28, 2008
US
What is the best and/or standard method for removing a welded electrical connection. Specifically the connection on an automotive alternator rectifier diode stem and the connector assembly is welded. A little glob of copper sitting on the tip of the stem joins the copper runner of the rectifier to the diode. I take it you would have to heat it to a pretty high temperature to reflow this connection. Just cutting the stem isn't acceptable. All I could think of is a mechanical grinding of the joint to remove the welded material. I want to do as little damage to the components as possible.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it definitely a weld and not an ultrasonic bond or a joint formed by a press? Any joint involving welded copper likely took place before silicon was involved, unless the weld used some fairly exotic technique to form the weld with very little heat input to the parent metal.

Diode and Connector - presumably intended to be replaced as one assembly.

If they're available cheap, then buy another and destroy half of each freeing the other side.

--

You might try looking on YouTube to see if there's a "How To" video on how to rebuild that exact model of alternator. There seems to be plenty of such videos on there.

Just grind it off. preferably hold the diode lead with small vice grips to isolate the diode body from the "scene".

When you're done tin the lead. If possible use a pot of molten lead to solder the new lead on (and to tin it). Wrap the wire add flux then just dip it into skimmed pot. Of course use good ventilation, heavy gloves, and full-face protection as any moisture causes a lead infused explosion. Keep the vice grips on during the process as a heat sink or really more of a thermal mass.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back