Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best way to treat pool water w/out chemicals 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger8

Specifier/Regulator
Aug 5, 2003
US
With all the new tech ,what is the best system to use for treating pool water with out using all the chemical?
thks,,ron

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ranger8:

There really isn't a good way to treat pool water without chemicals. It may seem like there is a lot of technology available like UV and ozone, but when it comes down to the environment of a pool, maintaining a disinfectant residual is where the safety of chemicals comes into play. The only thing on the market today to give the water a residual is chemical based.

BobPE

I agree with BobPE. There are any number of claims to treat swimming pool water out there such as copperv or silve ionization. But, you need to be cautious when making a decision to not use well establish chemical techniques for treatment. Even if some of the non-chemical techniques are applied it is, as BobPE mentioned, best to include chemical residual disinfection.

with salt water, you generally ADD very little chemical to your pool. a chlorine generator creates chlorine using ordinary rock salt. If things occasionally get out of whack, you might need to shock it with chlorine, but generally not a problem.

cvg:

you run into a lot of salt water pools? I personally think that would be the last thing I would want to swim in...but thats just me. I worked on government salt water pools, we still had large amounts of chloring since there were some stubborne bugs that like growing in the salt water....

BobPE

take a look at the link I provided earlier.
yes, they are quite common

salt content in saltwater pools is much lower than sea water (about 10 % as much) and is technically considered to be fresh water. You might not even taste the salt. you only need enough salt to allow the generator to produce the chlorine, and the amount of chlorine produced is also much less since the amount of stabilizer required is lower.

most pools can be converted to salt water without any change other than installing the generator. It is quite common these days in newer pools and provides many other benefits besides lack of chemicals.

Hi guys, just a little anecdotes about a pool I knew
Whilst working out Nigeria. The Airport hotel (Ikeja) sported an Olympic sized swimming pool, the only one in nigeria. The water was the colour of gravy, deep brown and matched the most of the indigenous swimmers admirably. The ambient temperature was around 33C. A colleague of mine made so bold as to dive into the melee with his mouth open (bit of a prat actually). He ws never the same again. He came down with a chronic stomach complaint inknown to medical science (the only lebanese quack in Lagos). All manner of test revealed curious worms and parasites which were systematically eradicated, but a final cure was elusive. The guy lost 30% body weight over 3 months and had to be shipped home being too weak to hold his pencil. I dont know if he was ever cured

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back