Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

better aluminum alloy for part drawn from sheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

istimewa

Mechanical
Apr 16, 2001
US
We're currently having an aluminum part drawn from 1100-O sheet. The vendor has been experiencing issues with the item separating at the corner in the area of deepest draw. He has refurbed his tool but the success rate is still marginal.

Would going to a stronger alloy likely alleviate this problem? Like 3003, 5052, or 6061?

Eric

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, changing to a stronger alloy will not alleviate the problem, it will only make it worse. Has your vendor performed any circle grid analysis? Metal forming simulation using software like DEFORM or similar?

Dear istimewa,

I had a very interesting class on the effect of anisotrophy index in deep drawing of thin sheets while I was studying Materials Engineering at my College. This is the link to the text we used for that class:

I hope it can help you understand where the dispersion of your process comes from, and thus, give you tools to eliminate it.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I've attached a drawing of the part. Dimensions are in inches.

I'm pretty sure our vendor hasn't done any analysis of the part, they're pretty unsophisticated. They've been making the part for us for about 30 years without any problems but now they're having problems. They're casting about for solutions at this point.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f3a2698b-2313-4940-a9bc-ad4af6ff595c&file=cover.JPG
Have they checked the material is really what it says it is?

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

If it has been mfg then there should be no issues now.
looking at the drawing I would have question the R.030-050 corner being to tight. but this part should be no problem
to form.

it is probable the sheets/strips have naturally air age harden. or the wrong hardness may been procured check the hardness of the sheets, it may require solution anneal for forming.

change of the guard make have happened and now due to lack of experience there are issues.
My past experience is the shop sometimes tweeks the dies
to make it work & did not report back to the original tool designer. some one with experience needs to look at the die
& sumerize why it is not functioning.
it appears that this drawing requires a 2 or 3 stage action die.

Oh, another thought is grain orientation though again, if they've been making this for a while you'd think they'd have that covered.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back