Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bevel plus fillet weld capacity. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

X4vier

Civil/Environmental
Feb 24, 2018
CO
Hello,
Anybody knows an example or reference to the capacity of double welds (bevel plus fillet)

image066_lse0nh.jpg

60b56a8f662a2468684473fc_Groove_20_2B_20Fillet_tnxudr.png

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The capacity is found the same way it is for just a fillet or just a PJP weld. The only thing that changes is the effective throat depth due to the geometry. The effective throat is the minimum distance from the root of the weld to the face of the weld. For a (equal leg) fillet weld this is 0.707 times the weld leg. For a PJP groove weld this is the flat length of the groove depth, and for a combination weld with the groove depth and fillet leg size being equal it ends up being the lenght of the angle of the groove. See picture below for examples of each (the green line is the effective throat):

WELD_THROATS_hxcuhy.png

dauwerda that's a great graphic!

Only additional thing I would add is that if the fillet is intended as "reinforcement" as is sometimes the case when stress concentrations are of prime importance, then you usually don't count the fillet as contributing to the strength of the weld (though you can if you're feeling adventurous). Here is a decent thread on it.

Thanks Enable, I figured this was a good time to brush up on my Bluebeam sketching skills :)

I don't have the older D1.1 codes that are referenced in that thread, but here is what the current (2020) versions says:

AWS D1.1 - 2020 said:
4.4.2.7 Reinforcing Fillet Welds. The effective throat of a combination PJP bevel groove weld and a fillet weld shall be the shortest distance from the joint root to the weld face of the diagrammatic weld minus 1/8" for any groove detail requiring such deduction (see Figures 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 and 5.2).
Fig_4.2_rlripb.png

Fig_4.4_ytxpur.png

(Figure 5.2 is the tables of prequalified PJP welds which show when an 1/8" reduction is required)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back