Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bi-Stable Spring Fabrication/Slap Bracelet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin R

Industrial
Feb 24, 2017
US
I am looking for some assistance in the creation of a "slap bracelet" type of product. I have researched various fabricators as well as importers, but with little luck. I'm hoping that the engineering community can lend a hand in helping me to verbalize what I am looking for so that I can find a suitable manufacturer to R&D and hopefully prototype for me. Generally, I think my concept is almost too simple for some to grasp, yet it needs some finesse in order to properly define the what/how it works.

In simplest terms, it is a silicone coated slap bracelet. There are hundreds on the market that would perfectly fit my need, however all of them are too big (typical size: 2.5cm x 23 cm), does not have enough snap strength (coiling strength) and collapses to a diameter that is too wide. A prototype approximately half the size of what I describe (1.25cm x 12cm) might yield the result I am after, even without the silicone sleeve. My assumption is that the silicone is the easy part once I have the mechanics of the band correct. However I cannot find anyone who will do it. Nor am I sure at this point who to look to, or even what industry.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Sincerely,
Kevin

PS: I found this thread which prompted me to join and ask, but the thread petered out ...

israelkk (Aerospace)27 Jul 09 17:06
Please give more information what you are after. For example:
1. What is the desired force to snap to the second stable position and the force back.
2. What will be the travel from one stable position to the second?
3. How many snaps the spring has to survive?
4. What are the size limitations for the spring?
5. Does it have to be a ribbon shape?
6. Environment?
7. Etc.

If you can attach a picture or drawing it will help because I do not understabd what is: a 'slap bracelet' kid's toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back