Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bicycle CVTs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good to know that, Steinmini. Is this your personal experience? Can you stand on the forward pedal when it is parallel with the ground with the bike stopped, without, so to speak, stripping the gears at either end of the range?

Here is another new bicycle transmission

I can't stand on the pedal, I have a recumbent trike :) However, I understand the question, rest assured that the NuVinci has overcome most of the problems that come with the classic derailleur systems. Pinion can't be retrofitted, only available as an OEM package which requires some mods on the frames.
Nuvinci on a Stein Trike pics: So far, I only received the OEM pricelist and a SolidWorks model for the Pinion. Have no practical experience with it, except I saw it with my own eyes on the Spezi fair earlier this year (

Thanks for the information and pictures. The Germans do love gearboxes, and so do I. Looks like they have come up with some good ones for bikes and trikes. But there is the retrofit problem unless it is a hub drive.

May Nuvinci prosper, and I believe they are. They make a fine device, easy to retrofit. I guess so, anyway, I haven't tried it. The disadvantage for a bike is the extra weight away from the center of rotation. Is that a bicycle term? I suppose it is not fixed, because the rider moves around a little, but it must be somewhere near the crank. This is probably negligible in a trike.

The range of the Nuvinci is not large, but apparently good enough for the majority of bike owners. I don't have any problems with the 24 speed chain/derailleur drive on my commuter bike, so am not looking to change it. I am just interested in developments. If I ever decide to take a long trip, your trikes look good.

I try everything I can just to get an opinion on the stuff, however, I'm always getting back to my faithfull 105/XTR combo on my trike. I live in a flat area, so flat, that if you stand on a pumpkin, you can see things 50 miles far from the point where you stand :) Our mountains are known elsewhere as pebbles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back