Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bicycle science and engineering for kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACtrafficengr

Civil/Environmental
Jan 5, 2002
US
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I think this forum would be a good group to ask.

I'm a traffic/civil P.E. and a cyclist, and I want to do a bike roadeo for my son's Cub Scout pack. The Scouts are pushing STEM stuff, so I'd like to add some science to the usual rules of the road and basic riding skills. The audience is grade school kids. It needs to be basic stuff, not detailed calculations.

I have three directions in mind, and I'm not sure which one to take.
[ol 1]
[li] Have an instruction station about the laws of motion and how they relate to bicycles.[/li]
[li] Have an instruction station on how bikes work, like gear ratios and rotational inertia and stuff.[/li]
[li] Try to integrate science and engineering into each instruction station, like drop eggs or melons to demonstrate how bike helmets work, segue from the ABC (air, brakes, chain) pre-ride check into gear ratios, and demonstrate friction at the braking skills station. This is the one I want to do, if I can pull it off.[/li]
[/ol]

I'm also thinking I should set aside some time for the parents, to talk about their questions and concerns (and convince them why salmoning is bad).

So, what do you folks think? Does anyone have suggestions for topics, experiments/demos or instructional approaches? What do you wish your company's customers had learned when they were kids?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back