Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bidding projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbroselogan

Mechanical
May 14, 2007
US
Hi

I asked about the raster to vector software because I have a chance to form a project doing the conversions. A major company in the area wanted to do this but could not find a local/regional company to do the work.

I have run many projects- the personnel and job, but have not bid on any projects before. And I have worked on conversion projects- that part is not the problem. I have basically done everything except bidding.

Do you have any suggestions or tips that could help me get started?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The ideal case is using historical data and complexity factors to scale the costs to the new tasks. That said, it's VERY difficult to have the discipline to collect and collate such data.

Beyond that, I'd look at some earlier postings here and elsewhere as to what things need to be bid, or at least considered:
Admin costs including program management, meetings, travel, etc.
Overhead costs including rent, utilities, etc.
Direct/Indirect labor
Materials
Consumables

TTFN

FAQ731-376

The most obvious thing that springs to mind is make sure you know the requirement.

If they wont give you a detailed Statement Of Work or equivalent then create your own and get them to agree to it as part of the bid.

Make sure you know what the deliverables are, both from you to them and from them to you.

Look at payment/delivery terms etc.

There are a lot of things to consider IRstuff makes some good points.

Also, if you are doing this yourself, look into taxes etc. and anything else to do with starting your own business.

There is a forum for this over in
KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

dbroselogan

In addition to the above good advice, if you have run projects, take a similar one and look back at your actuals (cost & schedule data). Those will form the basic buckets to start dumping in estimated costs. I think IRstuff was alluding to that with the reference to historical data.

One thing many people do is start putting the estimate together having not developed a good idea of how they will actually build it. You need to think through how you will execute and develop an execution plan that your estimate is based on 1st and then you can start looking at man-hours, equipment, materials, etc.

Also what will make a big difference is what kind of estimate is it for - a lump sum, a not-to-exceed, an owner's estimate for a budget excercise, etc.

I would have, if possible, the Construction Manager who will do the work take a run through it and if not, a good construcion resource just to get a sanity check on quantities, time, level of effort, etc. That's not to say you give them a blank check, but get feedback from them and determine what, if any changes you want to make.

Another piece of the puzzle is the contract, you may want to make some assumptions or clarifications that you want incorporated into the final contract.

Estimating work is a long string, start pulling on it and it goes on for along time.

Greg Lamberson, BS, MBA
Consultant - Upstream Energy

Greg, one of us got the wrong end of the stick. I don't think there is a Construction element. The job seems to be scanning old drawings and converting them to a format that can be changed with CAD.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back