Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Big Piston Rod- What is it off of? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStephen

Mechanical
Aug 25, 2004
US
A couple of our bike routes pass by this big piston rod (see photo). It's been welded to a post, out in front of a farmhouse/ garage type place. Pardon my bike in front of it, but that'll give you a sense of scale.

So, the $64 question...what is this thing off of?

Note that this is south of Dallas, a couple of hundred miles from navigable water, so it's possible, but unlikely, that it had nautical applications. Any guesses?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, in relation to rods I've seen on automotive and diesel applications, this one is very thin for it's length. Which suggests to me something large, old, slow, and low pressure.

That's too obvious, CorBlimeyLimey.

I did find this statement:
"At pipeline compressor stations, reciprocating engines are used to power reciprocating compressors that move compressed natural gas..."

the owner wanted youthful reminders of a long ago occupation . . . not used to keep mail box in place.

trust me, the rod is likely from a diesel or "old" steam steam engine. there are much larger ones in service . . .

best to ask the property owner. the owner will be glad you stopped and asked.

although my opinion, i do not think it is from an ICE w/ integral compressor - too small from what i recall. then again, i have been wrong before . . .

Very very unlikely to be from a marine engine, the big-end is too small in relation to the gudgeon (small-end),although it could well be from a stationary steam (either vertical or horizontal)engine of 1 or 2 cylinder configuration.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Its a connecting rod for between wheels of a steam locomotive. The part in the ground is the link connection to the next axle. The rods have to be articulated to allow the wheels to move up and down.

Too big to be a locomotive wheel con-rod.

I'm thinking something like

T1100366-View_of_a_jack_pump_at_an_oil_well-SPL.jpg

I've ridden past this a half-dozen times, but usually, I'm going downhill and hate to stop. This time I was going uphill, so I made a quick stop for the picture.

Two notes: The part buried in the ground appeared to be a piece of pipe arc-welded to the rod specifically to mount it. So I don't think it continued on to anything else. Also, the big end appeared to have lead/babbit in the bore, don't know if that has any significance as to age or application. There is not an open business at this location, but some small buildings that are not a normal residence, either- like the guy at some point in the past ran a business on the premises.

The gas compressor engine is sounding the most likely at the moment (either the engine or the compressor).

The biggest clue is south of Dallas. When I saw the pic I immediately thought oil pumping station due to location. Mint's got it right in my opinion. Did you notice any grease fittings?

The links on the pumpjack shown act mainly in tension, so they're quite a bit lighter built than this rod, relative to the length. This rod appears to be symmetrical, unlike the links on the pump jack.

It's hard to get a sense of scale, but on the pumpjack in the picture, those links are probably around 15' long, too.

This isn't anywhere near the town of West, in McLennan County, is it? If so, it might be commerating the town of Crush, the site of the famous "Crash at Crush" on September 15, 1896; perhaps one of the larger pieces remaining...

rp

When I was a kid, we occasionally attended pot-luck church dinners held at a community center in Texas City. There on the grounds was the anchor of one of the ships that exploded. But I doubt the Crash at Crush was quite that widepread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back