Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Big probleme with DELL laptop M6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSI-CAD

Computer
Feb 13, 2009
FR
I have big problems with my DELL M6600:

- the battery is empty after 90 mn
- the fan runs continuoulsly and sometimes hard (this may be causing the problem first)

Dell has changed the motherboard and graphics card but it's always the same.

Listen the sound file attached

Someone does have the same problems?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Didier Psaltopoulos

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey Didier,
I have a new M6600 with intel i7, 4GB RAM, with Firepro graphics card. So far I have not noticed the fans running at all. I am in Windows 7 64 bit BTW. Have you played with your power settings? If I set my power profile to the ultra performance mode, I still cannot hear the fans and the laptop does not get that hot either. I am getting about 3 hrs runtime in this mode with NX6 running and occasionally Vericut running. Once again my M6600 is brand new, so maybe that plays into things as well. If Dell has already tried replacing the motherboard then they probably know something is wrong. Keep sending it back or request a new laptop completely. Sounds like a dud computer. If you want some more specs on my M6600 just let me know.
Hope this helps.

UG NX3/NX4/NX6
Vericut 5/6/7
AutoCAD LT

Sounds more like a bad temperature sensor. I've got a workstation at home that does that once in a while and that's what I was told the problem is, but at least I don't have to worry about it draining a battery ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

There's a program that lets you monitor your laptop's temperature available on the Dell website. (forgot the name)
This might give you some extra information.

NX 7.5
Teamcenter 8

Hi Didier,
No, my 6600runs quietly and in my perception long time on battery.
Can you check the Task manager to see what process is running high on CPU ?
In my old M6300 the Norton Internet security could suddenly have the computer go 100% cpu for "unclear reasons". ( Norton itself did not state anything about ongoing scanning.)

Regards,
Tomas

I assume that it is a new computer,
Call Dell and demand a replacement laptop.
I assume that you have their "next business day service".
It is not your job to find the reason for the fault, if i buy a new (expensive)computer i expect it to work. It would have been different if i had assembled it myself.

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back