May 13, 2009
US
I typically break invoices up into several columns:

(Amount Previously Paid)
(Amount Past Due)
(Current Billing Cycle Activity)
(Total Due)
(Percent Complete)

I feel this is a clear way of representing the state of a job, and maintaining records for it. I was asked today by a client to only show them (Current Billing Cycle Activity,) not anything else. Typically contracts with this client are on a "they pay me when they get paid" kind of basis.

I'm inclined to do as they ask, since they're the client and all, but I worry knocking all the other info out will make them think they have less due than they actually do. Thoughts? How do you guys do it?

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ditto what the others said. Use invoices for each individual job, and use a summary statement that has everything on it. You are correct in thinking that the client could/would forget about past due amounts if it is not kept in front of them. I would personally never let a month lapse in which to send them an account of the entire amounts due.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

I like your client's approach. If they wait until the next billing statement, previous fees magically go away!

Perhaps do what they ask and attach another statement with the remaining info on it? That way they get the piece of paper they want AND the piece of paper that gives the full story.

- smm

Yep, though you may want each to be self contained/not say 'sheet 1 of 2' etc. to really meet their requirements.

For the sake of an extra stamp it could even be 2 separate notices.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I agree with your client.

Your model is what public utilities and phone companies print on your home bills. All one steaming pile of confusion, I think.

My practice is that each invoice is complete in itself, representing only the current accounting period, and to ensure absolute minimal chance of any confusion.

I have found this the easiest to manage from a client relationship point. If and when payment discrepencies occur it has been very easy and clear to make enquiries re invoice 3 vs. invoice 4, to resend invoice 3, etc. Discussing portions of an invoice = confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back