Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Billing Rates 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

XR250

Structural
Jan 30, 2013
US
I'm curious what others charge per hour.
I'm in central NC and charge $225 for design and drafting.
Just had a plumber come by and charge me $155 per hour.
I was thinking I need to raise my rates!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

XR - with those rates, you're either going to develop a following of devotees wanting to learn how to do it, or an angry mob of jealous engineers is going to come break in your door.

I've seen large firms with principal/partner level engineers billing out much less than that.

Also, the plumber has an investment in a lot of tools and equipment, as well as inventory in that truck. He's probably driving around in at least $250k of locked up capital. A good chunk of that $155 is servicing that (either paying on loans or as ROI).

Pham said:
I've seen large firms with principal/partner level engineers billing out much less than that.

Also, the plumber has an investment in a lot of tools and equipment, as well as inventory in that truck. He's probably driving around in at least $250k of locked up capital. A good chunk of that $155 is servicing that (either paying on loans or as ROI).

My guess is most plumbers have less than 5k in tools - about the cost of my computer. A torch and a pex crimper suits about 90% of their needs. Inventory gets charged out with a markup so no issue there.
I have insurance expenses and the cost of an education and all the other expenses that are part of running a business.
There is a local company that charges $1,200 just to come out to a residential job - so my rates look pretty appealing!

XR250 said:
My guess is most plumbers have less than 5k in tools

Fair enough. The guys I use have panel vans loaded with lots of nice stuff - cameras for scoping, etc. - so that's where my number is coming from. But then, I don't call a plumber until I've exhausted my ability to do it myself - up to and including snaking drains, installing new toilets, and main trunk lines under the house. If I can't fix it, I need somebody with the nice stuff.

With a couple of very rare exceptions, $1200 is about my minimum for a job now.

pham said:
With a couple of very rare exceptions, $1200 is about my minimum for a job now.

Most of my jobs fall in that range but I do a ton of 15-30 minute site visit and report for $675. I usually only have 1.5 hours in those with driving. Less if I can stack up 3 in a day near each other.

Billing rates depend on the market, and what the client is willing to pay. We can all sit around and sing the praises of QBS, but if the competition doesn't care, they will get all the work.

People do not always look at the quality when there is a significant difference in price.

XR250, $225/hour is excellent (for you), but when and for what kind of jobs/customers do you actually get to charge this rate? I would imagine if the job is more than 1-2 hours then small time clients would start to get sticker shock at that rate. Sounds like for your "15-30 minute site visit and report for $675" you must be charging a flat rate, since at 1.5 hours, that equates to $450/hour. I'm curious what can you possibly be doing in 1.5 hours, when you factor in drive time, time on site (only 15 minutes!... geez), and time to fire up your computer and write a report, not to mention customer intake (answer the phone, sales pitch, signed contract, etc.) and project closeout (invoicing/billing/getting paid). I charge less than you per hour, but I generally don't take any jobs under 8 hours. I just don't feel that I can provide an adequately professional level of service in less than 8 hours, nor is it worth my time. Each one of these small projects/assessments is like solving a damn rubik's cube, not so much in the engineering aspect, but more so in sorting out the client's issues/concerns. They always either hold back vital info (common if they are in a dispute with another party), or they vomit every one of their 1,000 nit picks that they have been cataloging in their brain for the last 20 years.

gte447f said:
XR250, $225/hour is excellent (for you), but when and for what kind of jobs/customers do you actually get to charge this rate? I would imagine if the job is more than 1-2 hours then small time clients would start to get sticker shock at that rate. Sounds like for your "15-30 minute site visit and report for $675" you must be charging a flat rate, since at 1.5 hours, that equates to $450/hour. I'm curious what can you possibly be doing in 1.5 hours, when you factor in drive time, time on site (only 15 minutes!... geez), and time to fire up your computer and write a report, not to mention customer intake (answer the phone, sales pitch, signed contract, etc.) and project closeout (invoicing/billing/getting paid). I

It is a $450 flat rate for the site visit and 1 hour min for the report. Drive time is usually 15-45 minutes round trip, report or drawing is usually 30 minutes. More complicated jobs are charged additional I don't take into account setting up the job as I multitask it while I am drafting some other job. Honestly, no one seems to complain about how much I charge. They are happy that I can get out there and have a report back in a reasonable time.
I might do 6 of these in a week. (I used to do 12) Most of my time is spent on the $1,200 to $5,000 jobs though.
Billing is about 5 minutes and they pay online so my bookkeeper takes care of that.
I have these down to a science and I am pretty good at red flagging potentially difficult customers on the phone.
One of my competitors actually has his wife drive him from job to job so he can write the reports between them.

I've moved away from the small report jobs and more toward larger designs. If I ever find myself needed to go back to those (I turn away several a week), I'll probably invest the time to write a program to automate report generation.

We charge $210 per hour, but very few jobs are true hourly rate type jobs. Most are fixed fee, but we use $210/ hr for pricing projects generally.

We usually charge $750 minimum for a small house job and report. That's 1 hr round trip driving, 1 hr SV, 1 hr report, .5 hr admin/ billing so it comes out close to the $210.

Besides these small <$1k jobs, it's probably at least $300 per hour for the small/ medium size jobs. We try to price it so that worst case scenario we'll hit $210/hr.

But I feel exactly the same way you do about wanting to charge more after paying someone $500 for something super minor. If these guys can get good money driving around with a crappy pickup truck it makes me want to charge double.

I know of engineers around here that don't pick up the phone for anything less than $2k, but we are efficient so we can afford to knock out $800 jobs or $5k ones.

We are at $250/hr in SC doing mostly residential work

I worked at a big firm ~6 years ago where principals were billing at $300/hr

Site visits + reports are $600, more if its an issue that requires drawings or more in depth investigation. Most of our projects range from $1200-$8000

It is rare that we have anyone fuss about our fees.

Our lawyer charges minimum 15 minutes of his $500/hr every time we send him an email. Answering contractor calls and emails for field issues takes up so much time with these types of projects, controlling that time and trying to somehow get compensated for it is a constant battle.

XR250/TheDW - how long have you been at those rates? Have you escalated them recently (i.e., since Covid), or have you been up there for a while?

Before Covid, the firm where I was working (Virginia) had just raised principal billing rates to about $180/hr. Not sure where they are now.

I started my own business during Covid, doing mostly residential letters and a few little design jobs. I set my rate embarrassingly low to buy up as much of that work as I could get. Looking back, it was probably a mistake, but oh well. I've been gradually raising my rates since and I'm approaching what would have been competitive or perhaps a little cheap in 2019, though most of my work now is lump sum and I price it by project value rather than time.

This is a timely post as I've been thinking about revisiting my company budget to plot my timeline for increases, so getting an idea of where the ceiling might be is helpful.

We were at $200/hr for a long time (at least 5 years) and bumped it up to $250 maybe 2 years ago

Our workflow is set up well so that our lump sum projects will usually put us over our hourly rate

Like jerseyshore we don't often do hourly work, it mostly comes into play with anything construction assistance related, or redoing stuff because of architect changes, or added fees for more in depth site visit work

I have been over $200 for a while. COVID and post COVID have been my best years as I am charging significantly more on my flat rate jobs and actually working a lot less.
I might have to move closer to DW's rate.

Bump those rates up. I am in a pretty HCOL area, but I haven't seen less than $200/ hr for an engineer in a few years. Most civil or structural firms bill around $300/ hr for principals from what I've seen around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back