BIM converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lars1978

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2015
NL
Hi All,

A customer of us asks if we can deliver the files in the .ifc format. This is the extension used for BIM files.
Any suggestions?

Lars

Lars
NX native (NX13 or NX1847)
Solid Edge ST10
Inventor
Solidworks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Follow up on the we are using the JT-IFC-JT translator , but...
the problem is that ALL (+foul words...) AEC software are "saying" that they support IFC4 but NONE which i have seen so far actually support Advanced Brep, which is part of the IFC4 standard.
So , the only system i have seen so far supporting advanced Brep is NX (! ) using this standalone JT/IFC translator.

So, the sad story is that if "they" send you an IFC file, - do not expect the result in NX to be good.
Ask for a .dwg file instead. that is by my experience better. Or step, if possible.
The imported result is, depending on the sending system , a mixture of solids and facet bodies. the solids only have planar faces. ( no circular or complex shapes)

Advanced Brep ? = Solids with "more than" flat faces. i.e, cylinders will appear similar to cylinders instead of polygons.
You can deliver IFC files if you have the JT to IFC translator, ( you export a JT file from NX and then run this JT-IFC translator)
and, the IFC file will be pretty good quality. ( Do not take that as the guarantee that the receiving system handles it well though...)

Regards,
Tomas

Thanx Guys,

Don't have teamcenter so I gues I can't download the program because I don't have teamcenter visualization map.

Lars

Lars
NX native (NX13 or NX1847)
Solid Edge ST10
Inventor
Solidworks

The translator is standalone, you do not need the TC Vis . The translator has a price.
You can export JT from NX with , i think whatever CAD license you have, then you run that translator "on prompt". = IFC file

The freecad, was you intention to use it as a translator , or simply switch to using Freecad instead of ... ?

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back