Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Biological control for Gas Turbine Fogging feedwater. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

serendepidy

Chemical
Aug 2, 2004
AU
I am a team member managing a gas turbine plant of around 500 MW and have recently had a fogging system installed and associated 1000 ton tank for water storage. We only plan to run the fogging during peak periods and store the water for use as required. The OEM has stated that we must drain the system every 7 days the fogging is not used which is impractical. We hope to use a biocide to treat the water and prevent biological growth which in turn will block up the small filters/nozzles on the system. However the OEM has also stated that the TDS of the feedwater must remain below 5 ppm. Furthermore, the material of the GT inlet duct is carbon steel, complicating things a bit more (No oxidisers) and the biocide must not interact with Hot Gas Path coatings. The final complication is that we sit on top of a water mound that supplies water to a large city, so the biocide must not have any toxicity.

Is there a biocide on the market we can apply to the tank at reasonable cost to treat the water, whilst maintaining a low TDS and not introducing additional corrosion risks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

UV and/or ozone are about your only alternatives.

If your storage tank is translucent you will likely start to see an accumulation of biomass.

Serendepidy:

One additional option for your consideration:

The ECP system which will sanitize the water electrolytically without increasing TDS or creating an unacceptable water quality/disposal issue is available from:

Dave Orlebeke
ECP International, LLC
McMInnville, Oregon

Tel: 541-557-4108
Fax: 541-994-3228

e-mail: aquaticonsuly@yahoo.com

Regards,

Orenda

Serendepidy:

As a former Navy Gas Turbine Engineer and Water Treatment Chemical salesman for Nalco and Ashland Chemical I would recommend hydrogen peroxide. It is available in 55 gallon drums in different strengths from Nalco, GE Betz, Asland Chemical(DREW Industrial), and Chemtreat.

Currently, I invent high power UV light, Advanced Oxidation and Plasma systems for very difficult to treat water and wastewater streams.

Although UV lights will disinfect your water, it will not leave a residual oxidant in the water. Ozone requires an ozone generator.

H2O2 simply requires a chemical injection pump that your chemical salesman will probably give to you.

Also, H2O2 breaks down into water and oxygen. Thus, no harmful effects to the compressor, GT, or PT.

Todd

Todd

Miroslav,

SANOSIL C may be a great cooling tower disinfectant, however, it would be unwise to use it in this application. The water being treated is highly deionized and is misted or fogged into the combustion turbine air inlet. Any dissolved or suspended solids will likely end up on the compressor blades or turbine blades.

I have never seen a silver plated compressor/turbine blade; I bet it is pretty.

regards,

Cub3bead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back