Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Biomedical Engineering jobs with DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConcernedBME

Bioengineer
Jun 18, 2017
US
I received a DUI recently, and I am planning on getting a Master in Biomedical Engineering soon. I'll be done with school in about 3 years, and by the time I finish I should have gone through the expungement process (California).

I'm really worried about getting jobs after I graduate. I don't plan on working in a hospital, but with medical device companies, in R&D or quality testing. It's always been my dream, and I haven't been able to sleep worrying that I'll never be able to do that.

I was wondering if anyone in the same field has been able to get jobs with a DUI? How difficult do you think it'll be? Any advise?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I wouldn't worry about it in the least. A great many companies will never check for that. If you are out of that lifestyle and they actually question you on that be truthful and that will count for something. Learn your stuff and be a desirable candidate.

Keith Cress
kcress -

You can certainly stay squeaky clean for the next 3 yrs, and show that you've learned your lesson. If this was simply a one-off, then great; if this was a case of simply getting caught at something you are chronically doing, then you need to get help, like AA, etc.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Thank you for your advice and input. If I starting applying for internships next year do you guys think it would cause too much of a problem? Or should I wait until I get it expunged? I really want to get more experience in the field, but I'm not sure if it's better to wait or not.

But, look at it this way. If you don't apply, there's a guaranteed 100% chance of not getting anything. Cast your net far and wide and often; that's your best bet. There's bound to be some people that will simply round file it, but there may be others that are willing to give you a shot. Consider your resume and cover letters not as pro forma things, but as sales documents that convince the reader that you're exactly what they are looking for, warts and all. Make use of every word in those document to show that they'll be making a mistake if they ignore you. DO NOT use the same letter for every application; if you do you've failed this exercise. DO NOT assume that you can use even the same resume for each application. Each company is different, and they may have very different needs that you need to satisfy with your letter and your resume.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back