Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bioreactor approach question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jafka

Chemical
Mar 9, 2011
US
I've been asked to spec-out a bioreactor system for treating wastewater from a grassroots plant.

My problem is that, being a grassroots plant, there is no water sample. We don't know BOD or COD. Nor TDS for that matter.

How does one go about specifying a biotreatment package from a vendor short of saying, "Give me something standard"?

Has someone else had to go out and purchase a wastewater treatment system for a plant that hasn't been built yet? Advice on this would be much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The designer of the plant should be able to provide you with a mass balance. You should also be involved in the plant design so that you can segregate flows as to treatability as well as provide other input.

One approach is to contact a similar facility and get typical operating data. If the facility will not provide the information to you, you can use public records to get information. All information that is submitted to the environmental regulatory facilities is typically public information and can be obtained with a freedom of information request.

I had s similar situation and I did just that. Went to the state house and reviewed the records.

I'm involved in plant design and developed the plant model. I have the mass balance and know my expected flowrates

I guess what I should be asking here is if anyone has reasonable "typical" wastewater estimates for BOD and COD for a gas plant.

The plant is a commercial demonstration unit for a new energy technology.

I have found values of 600 ppm COD and 250 ppm BOD as reasonable estimates for initial evaluation of waste water units in "chemical process industries" so I think I'll just go with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back