Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bishop & Morgenstern method for slope stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjwall81

Structural
Dec 7, 2008
US
I'm pretty familiar with the Bishop and Morgenstern method for the calculation of the factor of safety for simple slopes. However, I have a problem that deals with a 45 degree angle (beta) between the horizontal and the slope surface and the tables developed for this analysis by Bishop and Morgenstern do not list m' and n' values for a slope of 1H:1V (45 degrees) in most geotechnical engineering textbooks. In this particular case I have, C'/(unit wt.)(H)= 0.116. Is there some kind of rule for this type of situation when you have a 1H:1V slope to solve for the factor of safety when the books do not list m' and n' values for that particular slope? The final equation is:
Fs = m' - n'(Ru) (after m' and n' have been found) where Ru = pore water pressur parameter (in this case, 0.5). Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had the same prob.

Unfortunately the only way I could work it out was to forget about the BM charts and design the slope on a commercial software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back