Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blank cells between data in Excel chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eurobum

Aerospace
Aug 20, 2001
US
I built a chart using "lines on 2 axes". The first data row is filled (i.e. Monday thru Friday) but the second row is not completely filled (i.e. Tuesday and Thurday only).
The end result is the chart showed the line of the 1st data row and 2 dots with the 2nd data row. It's normal because under Monday, Wednesday and Friday are blank cells.
What I would like to have is Excel to connect a line between the 2 dots (Tues and Thurs). Thank you for your help.
Last time Mala gave me a tip for another problem but I don't know how to post my appreciation. Please show me the way. Thanks again.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To share what (I think) Eurobum found with others who may be having the same problem :

Excel has a feature for handling missing chart data.

You can choose to:
Either leave gaps for missing data
Or Interpolate values for missing data

Strangely enough this feature is nowhere to be found on the chart toolbar or the chart dialog boxes. You access it from Tools>Options>Chart.

One wonders why the designers of Excel chose to put it in such an unlikely place...

Eurobum: You express appreciation by voting the reply as useful. At the bottom of each post u'll find 2-3 hyperlinks. The left-most of them looks like:

Let Eurobum know
this post was helpful!

You simply click this link and your appreciation is registered in the form of a Star credited to the respondent, though the latter doesn't get to know who voted. It'd be more transparent if you just additionally post a line of appreciation as a reply in the same thread.

And PLEASE friends - I'm just showing Eurobum the way. Never think I'm plugging for votes...

You can also prevent blank data cells from showing up in you graph by hiding the blank rows or columns. To hide the row or column highlight the row or column Right click on the column or row and select "Hide".

Thanks Mala and Fanair,

I did find out about "inteporlating" as Mala described above. It did work out fine. Thanks again. Have a nice weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back